Pottery Wheel

Hey Everyone

I just got a new k-12 teaching job. The school the I am going to has a much more advanced pottery studio than my current school. I am going to have to be teaching kids how to throw on a pottery wheel. I can do it but I know I am going to have to work at it at least 4 times a week this summer to get better. The question I have is if you could pick a new wheel what would you get? I have been looking at brent, thomas stuart or even soldner. I am looking at 1/2 hp models. From most places the prices are very close, Soldner is only $140 more for shipping. Is soldner worth it. What is everyone's opinions on them. I did like the fact that soldners were a little lighter and have removable legs. I will have to move the pottery wheel a few times during the year. How hard a them to find parts for?

Thanks

Never tried a soldner wheel, but always wanted to. Brents are real workhorses, but i have never liked them that much. too noisy and kind of clumsy in my opinion. i really like shimpo wheels. they have a "whisper" series that is dead quiet! you cant even tell they are spinning if you are not looking at the wheel. very nice, and they stop on a dime when you push the foot pedal off which comes in SUPER handy. they also double as a banding wheel, which rocks! my old school just got a TON of Shimpo VL Whispers and they are all working very nicely.

Shimpo Wheel Link

good luck!

Never tried a soldner wheel, but always wanted to. Brents are real workhorses, but i have never liked them that much. too noisy and kind of clumsy in my opinion. i really like shimpo wheels. they have a "whisper" series that is dead quiet! you cant even tell they are spinning if you are not looking at the wheel. very nice, and they stop on a dime when you push the foot pedal off which comes in SUPER handy. they also double as a banding wheel, which rocks! my old school just got a TON of Shimpo VL Whispers and they are all working very nicely.

Shimpo Wheel Link

good luck!

Our school started with 16 Shimpo's, but one of the bigger guys went throught 3 of them in the first 3 years!. They are quiet, but even with the small pieces I throw, I can tell the motor in the one I use isn't doing what it was when new, only 4 years ago. I have an old Brent at home, very dependable,noisey, but I like the direct drive, so when the motor stops the wheel stops. the Shimpo is free wheeling, which bugs me when I am doing altering on the wheel.

I just bought myself a new 1/2 hp Thomas Stuart, love the big splash pan and removable wheel head. And it is quieter and more sensitive than the Brent, may be some what of a problem for beginners.

Congrat on getting better studio options at your school, I wish my local elementary had some wheel facilities.

after many years teaching and using equipment in my own studio here are my assessments of various wheels

I own and still use on occasion a mid 70's shimpo wheel - my mother taught with it in high school when she was a teacher - I will use until I can't replace the ring for the cone - which I believe is no longer in production - but it IS loud - always was....

I taught in a location with numerous 80's shimpo's for many many years - they are still working - some with minor issues - but working and noisy - but have seen alot of students use over 20 + years - all those original splash pans were horrible and had to be replaced with 2 part splashpans that were almost as irritating since they were so incredibily difficult to fit onto the wheel... I seemed to be the only one that did not have a frustrating time putting them on... point being - with a little better thought from the manufacturer - they would have been wonderful - so ease/simplicity/size/shape of splashpans can make a difference.

I taught elsewhere and had a mix of wheels - good deals price wise at the time - and the ability of students to try out different wheels - since so many would eventually want to purchase one of their own.

There were a couple of newer model Shimpo's - whisper series and one smaller type - again they performed well and were responsive to the operator.

Brents - while they are real work horses - the older ones did not have a reversing switch - but always seemed clunky in operation to me - and I don't like the splash pan arrangement.

Bailey wheels - have used them and have currently in use a "pro-series" wheel - with adjustable legs and work surface areas attached etc - noisy - with a loud unpleasant hummmm - that I can only take for short period of time - the hummmmm is while the wheel is in operation - the basin type arrangement instead of a splashpan offers plus and minus. The drain hose connection with this set up can be difficult and may not be ideal for a school setting. Foot pedal operation is ok - but not as wonderfully responsive as I would like all the time

PACIFICA - of all the above mentioned wheels it is the top of the list - it truly is QUIET - in operation - is very responsive and great foot pedal response - I have gotten used to the splash pan - which the design of is nice - but I would have made it just a bit larger overall - since it can be a tight fit for larger hands to get into it to retreive a tool or when mopping out excess water.

I take this wheel if I need to go demo somewhere - and while it is not - throw in the back of the car lightweight - it travels well can always we leveled out easily enough - and I don't have to get used to a foreign piece of equipment.

Price wise the majority of these wheels these days all seem to be close - shipping included from many shops and suppliers - I would certainly consider the auxilary components - splashpan, construction of the throwing surface area, motor assembly, foot pedal etc... and seating for you - as well as for your students - so thats my 3 cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...

I learned to throw on Brent CXC, and now in my personal studio I have a Pacifica GT400. I know there is a large centering capacity between the two, but I do not need that much, my largest pieces are 25lbs. As for your students, they will most likey not touch the upper limit either wheel capacity.

I agree with Diana with recommending the Pacifica over Brent and Shrimpo. The Pacifica is quieter, lighter than the Brent, it also responds well to any action of the foot pedal. The splash pan is quite snug. The Brent I found had a higher RPM for centering due to the larger motor, but was noisy and did not do well at low rpm for detail work. I prefer the Brent Splash pan, it is also much easier to remove then the Pacifica. My only experience with shrimpos is when my suppliers have had them in to fix them, I have never seen them work on a Brent or Pacific. They did not like working on Shrimpos, and advised me to avoid them.

Hope that helps.

Chad

Archived