Kiln Didnt Get Up To Cone?

hey all.

i fired this kiln once to a 05, worked just fine.

i fired again today, everything was the same, but the kiln didnt seem to get hot enough, and the cone didnt melt.

the pink/clear glaze on the tiles didnt melt either.

i just wasted 6 hours of electric, and i have no idea why??

Did your kiln take longer to fire than usual?

Did a Kiln Sitter shut it off, or do you have a digital controller?

The problem could be minor, such as a Kiln Sitter out of adjustment. Or it could be low voltage or a burned out element.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

hey all.

i fired this kiln once to a 05, worked just fine.

i fired again today, everything was the same, but the kiln didnt seem to get hot enough, and the cone didnt melt.

the pink/clear glaze on the tiles didnt melt either.

Did you turn off the kiln after 6 hours or a kiln setter. It depends on how heavily loaded a kiln is on how long it takes to fire. You can refire your work since it was underfired once you figure out what went wrong. The more detailed information you can give us the better we can help you.

the first time i fired it, it was done in about 5 1/2 hours. the kiln setter shut it off.

i thought it would do the same thing this time. it was mainly all of the same items.

at about 6 hours, i shut it off myself because the inside wasnt nearly hot enough, i knew something was wrong.

at about 6 hours, i shut it off myself because the inside wasnt nearly hot enough, i knew something was wrong.

It sounds like an element or a switch has burned out. Sometimes the problem is only a disconnected wire.

There are several ways to test the elements. Here is one of the simplest:

http://www.paragonweb.com/Kiln_Pointer.cfm?PID=86

This video shows how to use an ohmmeter to test elements:

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

how would i know if its a short, or if the elements need changed out?

I would guess that a wire in the switch box has burned off. I would open the switch box and examine the wiring, comparing it with a wiring diagram. While the switch box is open, test the elements, one at a time, with an ohmmeter. You can buy a multimeter (which includes an ohmmeter) from a home improvement or auto parts store.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

oooh boy.

were getting into serious stuff here!

im super new at this whole ceramics thing.

i bought this kiln used from a friend who had no information on it. no manual.

the manufacturer doesnt even have it.

i guess what better way to learn about your kiln is to tear it apart!

eeeeh!

wish me luck!

i guess what better way to learn about your kiln is to tear it apart!

eeeeh!

Since you don't have a manual and wiring diagram and you have never worked on a kiln before, I suggest that you find someone with experience to help you.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

i actually did get a wiring diagram and my neighbor is an electrician.

im not brave enough to go this alone!

I want to thank you for getting qualified help, I see some pretty sad looking used kilns at garage sales and the salvation army and I worry that the people buying them don't know what they are doing and might get hurt. I am lucky, we have a Ceramic Supply store in Wichita that rewires, repairs and rebuilds kilns, you just have to get in line. Denice (Wichita, KS)

Denice,

Call me and I'll coach you thru a kiln repair. It's pretty easy. I coach ladies all the time on how to fix their kilns. (Honey do's are in short supply)

Don't spend alot of money on an old kiln.

I can help. You probably have a burnt wire or the kiln has had a cord or plug changed in its liftime.

Get your brand and model number handy and call me.

Pat Franz

Bercher Ceramic Supply

405-634-6922

Oklahoma City

Pat, what a good guy you are.

As a trouble preventer, could you tell us how to asses a used kiln? I have a woman calling me with an entire ceramics shop she bought out at an auction, she says she doesn't know what she bought, come out to her shed and look at it, she has 2 old kilns and lots of other stuff. If there is no place to plug in a kiln, how does one decide whether to buy or not, or how much to spend?

If there is no place to plug in a kiln, how does one decide whether to buy or not, or how much to spend?

If you can't plug in the kiln, assume that it will need new elements. Here is a short article I wrote on buying a used kiln:

http://www.paragonwe...nter.cfm?PID=45

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

denice,

i fell in love so hard with ceramics and pottery, i want nothing more than this to work out for me. im definitely working hard to make sure everything is going the way its supposed to. :)

im lucky to have an electrician friend who lives up the street from me.

arnold, he said that one of the switches is bad.

do i have to look for a specific kind to replace it? a heat resistant one? i looked around and didnt have much luck finding one.

denice,

i fell in love so hard with ceramics and pottery, i want nothing more than this to work out for me. im definitely working hard to make sure everything is going the way its supposed to. :)

im lucky to have an electrician friend who lives up the street from me.

arnold, he said that one of the switches is bad.

do i have to look for a specific kind to replace it? a heat resistant one? i looked around and didnt have much luck finding one.

MissHolly Hopefully Pat Franz will answer your question Monday morning, I gave him a call after he replied to your question, I wanted the address to his store. He was so helpful that I thought I could give him some business the next time I am in Oklahoma City. He might have the parts you need to order, he told me he jumps on the forums before work to see if he can help anyone. Good Luck Denice (Wichita, KS)

Archived