Bone Handles!? Help...

I have looked at videos with John Britt pulling them and Mike Jabbur making a similar handle for his teapots, but I still can't seem to figure these handles out. I call them bone handles or telephone handles. I've been told that they are mostly pinched and then pulled off of the form. I am wondering if anyone here could give me some resources or their own instructions on how to accomplish one of these handles. It would be much appreciated!! I seriously cannot find anything on the internet explaining this specific looking handle. 

Here are some images incase you don't know what I am talking about:mattlong_zpsd4703fd2.jpgbonehandle_zps09cb3e6c.jpg

I've seen Martha Glover pull these handles. She pulls them off of the pot, starts with a lug shaped with thin in middle about 2 inches long 3/4 to 1 diameter. Makes the shape by rolling and pinching. Then she pulls it the way you would normally pull, without pulling the ends. Then she attaches the handles to the piece.

All of it takes a lot of practice.

Guest JBaymore

Watch the demos yopu've found... then attempt to do this process about 500 times, being critical of each attempt and addressing the issues you see each time. You'll get it.

Seriously....... doing ANYTHING skillfully (like is evident in the handles above) requires the investment of a lot of time and effort. There are no "shortcuts" to mastery.

best,

................john

If it's the attachments that you're looking to duplicate for a bone shaped appearance, the handles are being tapped out. To replicate this, one can hold a pulled handle that's just dry enough to not be tacky (and also has the general hourglass type shape) and press or tap the end with the thumb. Don't feel obligated to pull the handle off of the form, that just adds an extra step!

if you have an extruder, even the hand held kind, squeeze out about a 3/4 inch 4 inch long log.  roll the middle with your finger to thin it slightly, drop each end onto the tabletop to thicken and attatch while pulling.  lots of practice but having some logs saved up in a damp box will make your life easier. put 5 or 6 on each mug just to practice and wedge them all up again to practice more.

(when I saw the heading of your post I thought of the beautiful door handle on a studio in round hill va.  it is an actual cow bone.)

Archived