Clay Additives Laterite.

Babs

YEs, I think I'll sieve and wash the laterite "pebbles" because I don't want a general change in the colour of the body. May be better to wedge than pug??

Also thinking it may need reduction which I no longer can acheive.

Yeah, you should try to get it as fine as possible, depending on the look you are going for. 300 mesh if you can, or at least 150. If you are looking at trying to use this as a single clay body rather than an additive, then the finer the better, and wedge up and let it mature for a while before you use it.

I remember that John B. Has said he has added pebbles of granite to his clay bodies. Biglou has added chicken gravel to some of his clay bodies. I have added scoria (lava dust) to laguna half half cone 6 clay to get "cookies and cream" appearing clay. I used scoria sieved to forty mesh, then ran that through a 20 mesh to get rid of the smaller pieces. I added this to the clay.

It depends what type effect you are looking for... The smaller the particle size, the more even the color distribution will be. You can adjust to your desires.

This might work for you too.

Jed

Thanks, I am looking for the iron splotches similar to some bird's eggs , my clay body is white firing to buff as it goes to higher temp. The laterite is inpebble form and is the surface of many of the roads on the plateau which makes for very interesting braking and cornering.

I'll do a few tests oer winter and lete you see the results.

I fell though the bleeding I'm after may only result under a reduction atmoshere.

We'll see.

B

Archived