Custom Extruder Templates

maya

Good afternoon All!

I was trolling through the internet and through various twists and turns on Pinterest, found a blog showing one potter's work from Minnesota.  She makes beautiful pieces, but in between photos and explanations, it said that while she makes most of her extruder templates, the one shown for the foot, she'd had made. It looked really good----professional, not like a recycled credit card.  It was even beveled. 

I spent quite a while searching online, but came up with nothing........... does anyone know of a custom extruder template maker?

Thanks!!

Maya

I made them for the Bailey that we had at school. Some I used a jewelers saw and cut out of 18 gauge nickel silver, others I made with plywood and plastic inserts cut with a jig saw, still others with plywood and a bisque fired slab of clay, and one of the last with plywood and a credit card. 

I think almost any sturdy material can be used for a die, the tough thing is to figure how(what type of tool to use) to cut it.

I have been using a zip saw the past 10 years, and think the tile blade would be a pretty good way to cut plastic to the work the inner line of a die. I seemed to like plywood for the main part of the die as it is stronger.

I have made extruder dies from white plastic cutting boards but I tried several different plastics before I got to that one.  I drill a hole in it first to give the band saw some place to start and then cleaned it up with files.  I was curious as to what the beveled edge does for the extrusion.    Denice

Archived