Glittery Cone 6 Formula

jpc

Greetings! I was wondering if anyone knew of a cone 6 glaze that glitters like mica in stone? If not a formula a possible ingredient? I have tried mica in the past and vermiculite, although beautiful not sparkly.  Thanks in advance!

According to digifire database, iron pyrite can blossom at cone 6 reduction forming iron crystals. Using 20 mesh-size particles has been recommened to me. In oxidation it causes dark speckles.

I agree with Peter. Hematite or magnetite will glitter. BTW, the pdf article has great info. It even recommends 20% hematite and gives soaking time and temp for glitter (fine crytal) formation.

But, getting crystal formation is like getting a true red color....easy to say, very hard to do.

Jed

I have some home dug "clay" I have been testing it is very glittery. You could probably find some from a local creek or riverbank and add it to your glaze and see what it does! I have mixed some with some white body raku clay and it turned into a sandstone texture and look. No glitter though but I havent tried it with glaze or slip yet.

synj00 this sounds great. Let me know how it works out.  Peter H, I read the article and wow great info. The only draw back is I am not interested in a shiny surface. Actually I am trying to get as gritty a surface as possible, I am making "stones". Another series I am creating I have been experimenting with down-firing and creating crystals. It has been really interesting. I will experiment with the iron oxide. So much to learn!!! Thanks you for all of your information.

jpc

Archived