Porcelain Parameters

Biglou13

I was thinking along the lines percentage of kaolin......

Granted the standard formula is 25% kaolin 25% ball 25% silica 25% spar

In lower temp "porcelains". The kaolin percentage drops.

At what point is just a white body?

Is there a rule?

I've see different absorption/ vtirification rates. (Usually lower than stoneware) I've read where a porcelain is < 3 % yet other manufacturers have higher rates with their porcelains??

I was thinking along the lines percentage of kaolin......

Granted the standard formula is 25% kaolin 25% ball 25% silica 25% spar

In lower temp "porcelains". The kaolin percentage drops.

At what point is just a white body?

Is there a rule?

I've see different absorption/ vtirification rates. (Usually lower than stoneware) I've read where a porcelain is < 3 % yet other manufacturers have higher rates with their porcelains??

Porcelain does not have ball clay. That's the difference between white stoneware and porcelain.

Guest JBaymore

I understand the High Council of Potters is investigating her.

Sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... don't let her know. ;)

best,

..........................john

Guest JBaymore

Traditional Chinese porcealin was made of only two mateials.... a kaolin and ptunse stone.

BTW...... a lot of Chinese porcelains were thrown VERY thickly, and then trimmed insuide and out to thinness. The clay body could not be thrown thin.

best,

.......................john

Try this spelling, I assume it's the same stuff:

petuntse, this seems to be the common spelling. On Digitalfire its petunse.

I'd wish someone could provide Digitalfire a breakdown of Ptunse, if just for historical reference purposes.

Traditional Chinese porcelain was made of only two materials.... a kaolin and ptunse stone.

BTW...... a lot of Chinese porcelains were thrown VERY thickly, and then trimmed inside and out to thinness. The clay body could not be thrown thin.

best,

Guest JBaymore

Sorry about the typo there leading you astray. Yeah... that's the stuff.  Literal translation is "White block of stone". (useful, huh?  :lol: )

Labor in China is and always was cheap..... and most porcelains were / are produced in a far more factory-like settings that us studio potters are really used to (strong division of labor) so trimming them likely was easier than improving the body :) . There were/are throwers... and trimmers. Each exteremely skilled at that they did/do.

best,

........................john

Each exteremely skilled at that they did/do.

best,

........................john

Hey is that more skilled than extremely?? Just checking to see if I have to keep working at the throwing exercises until I become exteremely skilled or just stop at the extremely skilled level? :)

Chris well she should be inverstigated.. she delights in failing!

Guest JBaymore

Is that looking at her upside down, inside out, or backward?  ;)

best,

Is that looking at her upside down, inside out, or backward?  ;)

best,

my excuse is when I was at school we were still writing on bits of slate and using whiting for  making marks, haven't really become used to this keyboard thingie. From here, in the Antipodes, I think she is inverstigated!!, looking from down under. IF TJR can use "whale" as a verb, that leaves it wide open!

Apologies to TJR, reading a bit of Alice Munro's writing tonight, Canadian writer, and she writes of being whaled by her Dad, I presume that means hit pretty hard?? Great imagery in that word. Don't stand in the way of anyone in a whaling mood.

Archived