B-Mix Question

Marcia Selsor

I would rather throw porcelain than any white stoneware. White stoneware doesn't have any of the properties that make porcelain or stoneware wonderful.

Neil,

What do you mean by wonderful stoneware, and that white stoneware isn't wonderful? What color clay is the usual good stoneware?

And Marcia, I love those vases in the first post here! Gorgeous!

I would rather throw porcelain than any white stoneware. White stoneware doesn't have any of the properties that make porcelain or stoneware wonderful.

Neil,

What do you mean by wonderful stoneware, and that white stoneware isn't wonderful? What color clay is the usual good stoneware?

And Marcia, I love those vases in the first post here! Gorgeous!

I should have specified smooth white stoneware. I prefer stoneware bodies that have stoneware clays or fireclay in them. Smooth white stoneware bodies tend to be high in ball clays. A little ball clay is nice, but most have too much for my taste. And if I want smoothness, I'm going to use porcelain, which has a completely different feel than smooth white stoneware. I also don't like the color of the fired white stonewares. They're not glassy like porcelain, and not interesting like stoneware with fireclay. Just my personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived