Fettling Cast Mugs

I've got three different mug moulds:

A commercial one, a home made one, both with handles, and a home made drop-mould without a handle.

When it comes to fettling the rim, the two with handles give me problems.  No matter how I trim the slip from the pouring spare, I'm left with an ugly edge.

With the drop mould I either trim level with the top of the mould, or when it's firmed up a bit, I use a scalpel in a height-adjustable stand to score a new edge and keep going until it's cut all the way through/round, then round off the flat edge with a sponge.

With the other two I spend much more time getting the edge level, same thickness all the way round and nicely rounded off.

If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear from you.

Use a double ended mold tool in the mold-

They are simi hard and will not cut into plaster-then refine with a sharper tool.

I'm to busy to post a photo this week of tool but any mold supply outlet sells them.

They are white in color

Mark

Thanks bciske, showed the pic to the other half....  he said "I've got a set of those in the garage" (wood-work-shop), I said "ooh.." he said "NO".  Now saving up for some.

Thanks Mark, I've got one of those, called a loosey-tool (lucy-tool), but it's what gets left after I've cut that bothers me.  I'll take some photos tomorrow of the problem...

Archived