Wax Resist

newby Jan

i have a friend that has offered. it should work.   thing is bees wax like some other waxes have to be hot/very warm to apply.    so if you can keep it hot and it sticks to your pot   then i dont see why not.   

some studios still use hot wax to wax bottoms,   by using a small  electric pan set on lower temp with wax in it.

Thank you for replying.  They used wax melted in an electric pan at the community college class I took, but it was not beeswax.  I do have a little experience keeping beeswax melted without getting it to the smoking danger point, and I bought a small square electric pan, so I reckon I'll give it a try.  (I am only making small bowls and cups now, that would sit down into this size pan)  Have not been able to find ANY online information or examples with potters using it, though. 

Jan,

Have not been able to find ANY online information or examples with potters using it, though.

There is this one ...

http://users.skynet.be/russel.fouts/Files/Piece_de_Resistance_Published_Article.pdf

... and these

https://www.google.co.uk/#psj=1&q=pottery+beeswax+resist

Regards, Peter

Edited to add results of google search, esp. the clayart ones.

Thank you Peter for mentioning those articles.  I did read those before hand.  Mostly they talk about burnishing with a splash mention that beeswax may be used, but none really speak directly to the beeswax or show how or the before/after of using beeswax in any detail.  No videos available either.  But that's OK, cause I have beeswax and like Biglou13 says, that means no petrochemicals.  And I have some paint brushes that are past their prime for painting purposes that will work just fine for melted beeswax application on pottery. 

I will be meeting Russel Fouts , the author of one of the articles, in London next week and giving him a gift of one of my obvara pieces. I have a piece from him similar to the one in the cover photo.

It won a price at the NCECA Biennial in Louisville. They are beautiful pots. He is forever experimenting with new materials. These are foil saggar fired in electric kilns. There are a lot of great minds out there and it is really great they are willing to share their knowledge so readily.

So tomorrow I leave for the first four weeks of 6 weeks of traveling.Keep up the information exchange.

Marcia

Archived