Do I have to glaze the inside and outside

I want to leave part of the outside of some bowls unglazed.  Do I need to use a clear matte on the outside or can I just leave it unglazed?  These are ramen bowls and I want them to be able to be used.  Stoneware, cone 5/6.  Thanks. 

Edited by Lbauer12

It's definitely possible to leave them unglazed on the outside, but it also depends on the clay and glaze. Some glaze can put a lot of tension on the clay, and if it's only glazed on the inside then that tension can actually crack the pot. It happens most often with thin pots and thick, layered glaze, but if you're just using one glaze and your pots aren't super thin it shouldn't be a problem. As always, test, test, test.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, neilestrick said:

It's definitely possible to leave them unglazed on the outside, but it also depends on the clay and glaze. Some glaze can put a lot of tension on the clay, and if it's only glazed on the inside then that tension can actually crack the pot. It happens most often with thin pots and thick, layered glaze, but if you're just using one glaze and your pots aren't super thin it shouldn't be a problem. As always, test, test, test.

I’m a noob so, not super thin maybe 1/8”-3/16” Usually 3-4 total layers of 1-3 types of glaze.  It’s a dark speckled clay that’s only supposed to be fired to cone 5. 

Edited by Lbauer12

Tony Hansen shares an image of a mug glazed on the inside only and what can happen if the glaze doesn't fit well. If you are going to glaze one side of a pot only then like Neil said, you have to test it really well. Wrapping the glaze over the outside of the pot part way down the outer wall will help.

A stress test to check for glaze fit when glazing just the inside of a pot would be to freeze the pot in the coldest part of your freezer overnight then while still frozen place it in the sink and quickly fill it with boiling water. A cylindrical pot would work better than a bowl shape to exacerbate the propensity for cracking if the glaze doesn't fit really well, as would a thicker layer of glaze. If it's going to crack you really want to find this out before you start selling them.

From the digitalfire link on compression:

image.png.57b2cde89441aa6099093e6a1631dd92.png 

Is your clay a C5 clay?  You need your glaze to be matched to your clay temperature.   A clay that has a wide firing range won't be vitrified to where your dishes won't leak.   You should probably test your bowl for leakage,   leave it on the counter overnight filled with water.  If there is a water ring in the morning your clay isn't vitrified and it shouldn't be used for food.   i would also double check the glaze for being food safe.  I assume you are going to be selling these,  you need to protect the consumer and you from law suits.    Denice