Question on Tichane's "Celedon Blues" 5-3-2 recipe

Hi Folks! Does anyone have experience with the glazes in Tichane's "Celedon Blues" book?

I am working with his 5-3-2 recipe (50% feldspar, 30% silica, 20% whiting), which settles out and pancakes rather spectacularly.

Does anyone have advice about additives that won't mess up the final blue celedon color?

I am going to try 1% bentonite in my next batch to keep it from settling, but wanted to see if anyone has advice before I start wasting time in reduction firings just to see how it looks (yes, being lazy).

Thanks for ideas!

Richard

10 hours ago, Mudfish1 said:

Hi Folks! Does anyone have experience with the glazes in Tichane's "Celedon Blues" book?

I am working with his 5-3-2 recipe (50% feldspar, 30% silica, 20% whiting), which settles out and pancakes rather spectacularly.

Does anyone have advice about additives that won't mess up the final blue celedon color?

From a position of complete ignorance ... you might be interested in looking at the approach used in 5321.1 

https://www.derekau.net/blog/2015/01/19/blue-celadon-glazes
Celadon Blues ...
The “532.1” formula contains 50 parts feldspar, 30 parts silica, 20 parts limestone, and 1 part iron oxide.  The “5321.1” formula is the same but adds 10 parts kaolin.  The type of kaolin added greatly affects the color of the glaze, for blue celadons a kaolin very low in titania such as Grolleg or New Zealand Halloysite is required.

https://digitalfire.com/material/kaolin
Kaolins are employed in glaze recipes to keep the silica, feldspar, frit and other particles from settling out (the surface chemistry of the particles and their interaction with water are responsible for this behavior). At the same time the oxide chemistry of kaolin makes it the primary source of alumina oxide for glazes.

Each to their own of course but I would recommend you also try out the Pinnell Blue Celadon. I did some small scale tests and a few pieces in both and in my experience the Pinnell is a much nicer glaze and easier to work with.

Shane