application of underglaze

good morning.  I am adding two images for some clarification.  pieces were created with white paperclay--not sure if that has any relevance.  after bisque firing (cone 05), i painted them with different underglaze colors, 3 coats.  i then let that thoroughly dry and did a quick (count 1,2) in a nice clear glaze.  both were fired to cone 5.

my question related to the fact that the coat of clear glaze covered the underglaze, but it still seems a bit thick underneath.  i wanted the colors of the underglaze to be solid, but now wondering if two or even one coat of the underglaze would have have still been adequate and then the clear would have covered "better"

I know i need to just keep experimenting, but thought I would see what experiences with underglazes others might care to share??  Oh, and just a side note, my new favorite brushes for just about everything are mop brushes.

sIMG_underglaze.jpg.0acfe307ccf9fe35727a2f22e7811043.jpg

I agree, the underglaze looks kinda thick. What brand of underglazes are you using? Most will give you a good solid color of you thin them down a little bit and apply 3-4 thin coats, brushing each coat in the opposite direction of the previous coat.

I find that clear glaze covers better when dipping if you apply the underglaze before bisque firing, so that the binders burn out in the bisque, leaving the surface more porous for the glaze application.

thank you,  Neil,  this makes a great deal of sense, and since i only glaze fired these two as a test, i will experiment further with your suggestions.  I am using the amaco underglazes and the coyote underglazes.  i have some nice thin paper clay test pieces that have not been bisque fired, and will do some experimenting with those.  perfect!!

2 hours ago, grackle said:

thank you,  Neil,  this makes a great deal of sense, and since i only glaze fired these two as a test, i will experiment further with your suggestions.  I am using the amaco underglazes and the coyote underglazes.  i have some nice thin paper clay test pieces that have not been bisque fired, and will do some experimenting with those.  perfect!!

If the pieces you are going to try on are absolutely dry, the u.g. may not adhere to it, may look ok after bisque, then bloat off when glaze fired.

This may not be the case with paperclay. I suggest spraying the pieces with water, then applying the u.g.

@neilestrick would know about this.

Thanks, Rae!  That one is hand built with paper clay.  i made some with toilet paper (dissolved) and I think some nara porcelain.  I saw a video online about making the templates.  I think the top could be a little narrower but we are using it to make coffee and it works!