Dry Effect Oxide Patina

Hi,

I found a study which describes "dry effect oxide patina" as one type of category of patinas. There is a recipe for "Dirt" patina:

6 tin oxide, 2 red iron oxide, 1 copper carbonate, 1 Ferro 3134 frit

Does anyone have experience on such patina? I would love to test this as "dry effect dirt patina" sounds like something that I am looking for my pieces.

I haven't made my own glazes so I don't anything about frits. I read that melting temperature for 3134 is 790-870 C so does it mean this patina could not be be used for high fire temperatures?

Susanna

3 hours ago, SusannaK said:

I found a study which describes "dry effect oxide patina" as one type of category of patinas.

It sounds like they are a special case of  "oxide washes".  (Which may be a productive search term.)
https://www.vincepitelka.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Surface-Design-Patinas-and-Glazes.pdf
Dry-Effect Oxide Patinas
An interesting category of patinas are those which simply approximate the accumulation of dirt and debris found in much ancient claywork. Varying proportions of zircon opacifier or tin oxide and coloring oxides with some 3134 frit (to flux the patina onto the surface) will give a range of “dirt” colors from very light to dark brown or black.

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/pottery-making-illustrated/pottery-making-illustrated-article/In-the-Studio-Washes-and-Patinas#
In the Studio: Washes and Patinas
Gerstley or Gillespie borate, Ferro frits 3110 or 3124, borax, or any other flux-based material can be used in combination with colorants to create patinas.
... so I think the message is to use a flux appropriate for your firing temperature.

If you say what cone/temperature you fire to an expert will probably chip in with a recommendation (or confirmation that 3134 is OK).