How to control old kiln

I recently inherited a Sure Fire kiln from my dad.  It's an electric top loader, about 80 litres.  The controller is a 'Fire Aid' device, which has two dials: temperature, which can be set, and 'Energy Regulator', 0-100%.  It also had a toggle switch, 'cut-off'/'soak'.

I can't find any specific operating instructions online, and wondered if anyone on here could help?

I'm finding "Shure Fire" kilns by Reward Ceramic Color mfrs. co., inc. Indianapolis, Indiana (USA)...
...also "Sure-Fire" kilns, which may have been manufactured in the UK...
No luck yet on any instructions though.

Have you fired a kiln before? Is it connected yet?

If so you need to look at the firing ramps suggested in this forum or in books/ online. Get a book to use as a firing log booki'd put shelves etc in.

Turn kiln on

Set temp to ,say 1000°C  or equivalent F.

Set energy regulator, say,  20%

Put toggle on cut off

Note after 1hr the temp, (has your kiln got  a pyrometer?) NOTE ON LOG BOOK

You're aimIng for about 100deg C till about 600drgC

Adjust the energy level to medium and so on till reach top temp noting temp reached every hour.

Gives you a guide. May need to invest in a seperate cut off timer if one not installed and set that to about 1/2 hr after expected length of firing...

Anyone aroubd who is a potter, dad's friends?

Not knowing kiln you , and being a find out scenario, put it on cut off pos0ition

. This,I think, would mean the kiln shuts off on reaching set temp.  You MAY be able to switch to soak at that time because if no timer to set length of soak,you'd have to be there to shut off kiln at the time you want to soak for. Hope that is logical?

Still look for a manual, must be around, post some images in this forum, folk have lots of info.

I am only giving you the " usual" procedures. Kiln experts will give you exact for your kiln and the way it should ve linked to your electri uty supply for a kiln that size.

Edited by Babs

7 hours ago, Mollymoo said:

When should I switch the toggle to Soak?

Point 2 and 4 in the red font manual above tells you that. 

2 says to put the toggle either way but point 4 states make sure it is on cut off or it will soak, maintain target temp for ever! 

Reads like you can put it to soak at end  when you are there to witness close to end of firing.

Don't trust the cut off .