QotW: What is your narrative and preference about brush play on your pottery? 

A while back, I asked about handmade brushes. This makes me wonder, just how much practice do people put in with their brushes. Do you have a favorite style of brush, does it matter to you whether it is synthetic or natural? Myself, I have been a painter both in acrylic and watercolor. I was always aware of good brushes and the value of careful care especially when working with acrylic where an uncleaned brush is often ruined. For ceramics, love a large flat brush of natural long bristles this soaks up the glaze and spreads evenly. I am also a fan of narrower flats often of synthetic that will work with stains over the glazed surfaces. these give me lines that get thick to thin with lots of width and a narrow line when tuned to the side and lifting til just a corner touches the surface.  When we were in China about 10 years ago there were street people that used a large round mop brush that came to a point. . . they were painting on the sidewalks with water in beautiful calligraphic strokes that would eventually fade, but were so free until they did fade away. I like to see that sort of brush work on my pots worked into the surface disappearing in textures and reappearing in an unexpected manner. Brushes can be so addicting at times that you must force yourself not to over do.

QotW: What is your narrative and preference about brush play on your pottery? 

best,

Pres

If I see a brush on sale I usually buy it,  the brushes I get at my ceramic supplier usually end up my favorite.    I recently finished a couple of handmade brushes for slip work,  I think I need a sidewalk to practice on.   I didn't have any bamboo available in this area,  even Ebay didn't have any listed.   I decided to get some cheap Chinese brushes and use the handles,  worked great.  Between the cost of the handle,  deer fur and glue I have about $7 in each one.   Etsy had them finished and ready to buy  between $75 and $100.  I will stick to my homemade ones,  I  still have enough supplies to make  more.   Denice                       

I use and own all kinds of brushes in the ceramics studio .Some I had as a Art major in collage (oil /water color and ceramics use) .I'll never use them all up in my life as i collected way to many to over the decades. I had a brother who bought a bunch from Japan in the 70s for me and a mother who went to china in the 80s and brought back a bunch for me. Since then I have amassed way to many on top of those I already had. I was also given a few boxes of the flat wide ones that are white hair wooden japanese one. She had a case of them.Then somewhere in the 80s I started to make my own. Well now maybe its time to think about letting some go. I did sell a bunch of pottery tools on one of the pottery facebook sites last year when cleaning out a studio area. Time to do more of that.Doing that with camera gear now as its a winter downsizing I do every year.

I use moppy glaze brushes (labeled as glaze brushes) for straight up application, they’re also my favorite for applying terra sig. They load up nice, lots of bristle holds lots of glaze. For applying slip and kiln wash I do like the cheap “chip brushes,” white bristle brushes you get at the hardware store. They often leave drag marks I find interesting. For decorating with slip, oxides, or underglaze I like the asian style calligraphy brushes. I can vary the thickness of lines, from detailed to bold, they hold a lot of material, and they’ve got just the right spring. If I’m after a wide, even coating of slip or glaze I’ll choose the wide flat Japanese ones @Mark C. mentioned. Oh, one more, if I want to stir something up, keep it in suspension, or mix it after it’s settled, I’ll use a stiff bristled brush like oil painters use. That’s for mixing small quantities, like a stain or oxide, not application. I love my brushes, keep them clean, and rarely have to replace any even after many years of use. Important tools. 

Now, always trying to learn, I’ve been using a bit of wax lately after years of eschewing it and haven’t found a favorite brush yet for that.