Do I add Epsom Salts or water?

Marge

Hi... I have a few batches of 4 gallon buckets of glazes that I made. I (obviously) added to water to get to where they are now. I think that they are all slightly too thick. At this point do I continue to add water or switch to an Epsom salt solution like I saw on a John Britt video. I used the finger test and a hydrometer (which read 1850). I'm anxious to start dipping my cone 6 glazes, but don't want to ruin my glazes. Thanks for any "words of wisdom". This is my first attempt at making and using my own glazes... SO much fun!!---- Margie

Hi... I have a few batches of 4 gallon buckets of glazes that I made. I (obviously) added to water to get to where they are now. I think that they are all slightly too thick. At this point do I continue to add water or switch to an Epsom salt solution like I saw on a John Britt video. I used the finger test and a hydrometer (which read 1850). I'm anxious to start dipping my cone 6 glazes, but don't want to ruin my glazes. Thanks for any "words of wisdom". This is my first attempt at making and using my own glazes... SO much fun!!---- Margie

Add water but only a little at a time. It's a lot easier to add more water than take it out. Save the Epsom Salt for problems with glazes, like hard panning, that can't be solved by adjusting the amount of water.

Jim

I'm a newB so caveat emptor

If its not in original recipe or recipe as tested I'd say. Just add water!

(Expert's opinion to follow)

Epsom salts in 0 .1-0.5 % is used to keep glaze from settling out. Do you know starting weight of glaze ingredients?

You question was slightly too thick glaze ..... Then good ol h20 is your answer.

Stick to the recipe / formula! Did you make small batch tests on these glazes? Before the 4 gal.

Water is not going to change the chemical formula of glaze!!!!! An error here is mostly correctable.

Also let your glaze sit awhile before you make any changes. I was surprised how consistency changed is a few days time.

Run a test piece/tile before you make any changes.

Just because its on you tube. Doesn't make it ceramic dogma. (Even I've stayed at holiday inn express),

No disrespect To John britt. like Bo knows ..... John knows (his glazes)

Add water very slowly -mix and take a measurement till its right.

The epsom salt will make it thicker and mess up your measurements.

You can add some once you have the glaze dialed just right with water but as Jim said do not do that unless you need to for other reasons.

Mark

Archived