Best atire for a wood fire?

Hey everyone! I'm hoping this is the best sub-forum for my question, I've searched this a few times but haven't found a comprehensive answer and thought a discussion would be good! I've done one wood fire in the past and was able to get by with two pairs of pants, boots, and a few t shirts (long sleeve) but toward the end I really felt like I was melting - the fact that it was September in South Georgia also didn't help with that.

I'm about to do another wood fire at the beginning of next month, I'm taking a soda fire class (not sure if we'll be helping with firing or if it's just gas) for a month and a half, and I'm also taking a wood fire course at John C Campbell in March! So I'm in need of some better clothes! I've got carhartt overalls and good thick leather boots, but I'm trying to decide what kind of jacket would be best while also still being workable. A welding jacket would be decent, but in the past I've always found them very stiff and extremely large (I'm a size small woman).

I often see people wearing duck canvas jackets and leather aprons, but wondering what the best options are. If there's another jacket that would be perfect please let me know. I'm hoping to continue doing wood fires so it would be a long term investment, but if I could also wear the items regularly that's a bonus.

So my experience of wood and soda firing as a medium sized woman is all  in the frozen north, but a number of my teachers actually were educated in Georgia and other, warmer places. I imagine March will be cooler for you, so it’ll be more comfortable. 

The best clothing is layers of 100% cotton you don’t mind getting dirty or wrecked. It should be not too baggy, so it’s not getting caught on things or subject to catching errant flames during a stoke. It should be loose enough to move comfortably in. The layers are so you can adjust to the changing temperature around the kiln site. It should be some form of natural fibre, because those will char, rather than melt like synthetics in the event of flying cinders or burns. Even the expensive orange canvas stuff will eventually get trashed, so get whatever fits that description that’s in your budget. I think a welding jacket is overkill, unless you find a comfortable one. 

The workboots are a good idea, although I will say that the newer, lightweight “steel” toes (I think they’re some kind of mesh now) are much more comfortable, and it’s pretty easy to find women’s sizes. Unless something goes very wrong, I haven’t encountered burnt feet, but axes and wood debris are worth being mindful of. Get the steel (or mesh) shank ones if you’re working with things like pallet wood that haven’t had nails removed. No one needs nails through the sole!

The only other thing I’d recommend is some form of hair covering. Even if you’ve got long hair that can be tied back, embers can still singe the flyaways.  Some cheap, colourful bandannas to keep you covered are nice. 

As far as soda or salt goes, *mostly* those are gas kilns, although sometimes people will add a few pounds of salt to the back chamber of a multi chambered wood kiln. The physical demands of soda are less, because you’re not having to chop wood or stoke, and the PPE concerns aren’t quite the same. When it comes time to spray or soda bomb, mostly you’re worried about your lungs and your vision. And your hair, again. You can wear the same cotton work clothing, workboots and bandanna. Watching a gas kiln fire is like watching paint dry, so you won’t be around it for more than brief checks until it’s time to add soda. Mostly folks move away from the kiln after the soda’s been added, and while the dampers are closed. So you’re only wearing most PPE during spraying or when you’re pulling draw rings/checking cones, etc. I’d contact the workshop provider, and ask what they provide for PPE, and what they recommend you bring. Usually you have to bring your own respirator, because they should be fitted properly. They will often provide face shields.

2 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

The best clothing is layers of 100% cotton you don’t mind getting dirty or wrecked. It should be not too baggy, so it’s not getting caught on things or subject to catching errant flames during a stoke. It should be loose enough to move comfortably in. The layers are so you can adjust to the changing temperature around the kiln site. It should be some form of natural fibre, because those will char, rather than melt like synthetics in the event of flying cinders or burns. Even the expensive orange canvas stuff will eventually get trashed, so get whatever fits that description that’s in your budget. I think a welding jacket is overkill, unless you find a comfortable one. 

The workboots are a good idea, although I will say that the newer, lightweight “steel” toes (I think they’re some kind of mesh now) are much more comfortable, and it’s pretty easy to find women’s sizes. Unless something goes very wrong, I haven’t encountered burnt feet, but axes and wood debris are worth being mindful of. Get the steel (or mesh) shank ones if you’re working with things like pallet wood that haven’t had nails removed. No one needs nails through the sole!

Okay thank you! I definitely prefer all natural fibers just in general, synthetics are always stuffy and sweaty. I'll go around trying to find a good heavy work jacket I can wear that isn't too big, or full of fiber that will melt. I had wondered if a welding jacket would be overkill and I think it probably would be, but wanted to get others' opinions. Bandana is a good call as well. The boots I already have are just full leather cowboy boots, to keep me safe from embers melting through. Down the line maybe I'd look into ones with a reinforced sole, but not for a while.

And thankfully, yes, February will be better. Where I live it would be close to freezing probably, but as far south as we'll be it'll be 40s and 50s. So not too terribly cold! Definitely good weather to be up and moving around.

And gotcha on the soda! It probably is a gas kiln they're using. I've helped fire the one at my old school, but it was just straight gas firing. I do already have my own respirator from college thankfully. My first day of the class is tomorrow and it's 9 weeks so I suppose I'll find out more about what's expected from us then! Thanks for all your suggestions!

Re the cowboy boots: if they’re a round toed style that can accomodate a cushioned insole, carry on. If they’ve got pointed toes, a pair of hiking boots is a better option. You will likely be standing on a cement kiln pad for many hours. You won’t be exposed to a lot of situations where your feet are going to be subject to burns, but dropping pieces of wood on your toes or axe hazards are more likely scenarios.

I will just emphasize what Callie said regarding protection for hair--essential!! And, gloves--very necessary-not flamable, obviously, and w/strong protection for handling  wood, stone, metal other materials and items around a kiln site...you never know what you may run into. 

1 hour ago, LeeU said:

I will just emphasize what Callie said regarding protection for hair--essential!! And, gloves--very necessary-not flamable, obviously, and w/strong protection for handling  wood, stone, metal other materials and items around a kiln site...you never know what you may run into. 

Yes I hadn’t even thought about something for my head so I’m glad it was brought up! Wouldn’t want to lose my curly locks. My friend said he was bringing gloves the first wood fire I went to but boy am I glad I had got my own pair. I may even get a heavier duty pair for this next go around. 

The least amount of exposed skin. Long sleeves and full pants. Clothes you won’t cry about when an ember burns a hole in them. Cotton or wool, not synthetic.

I mostly use ordinary leather gloves until late in the firing, when I switch to leather welders gloves with the high cuff. Comfort and dexterity are important until it gets too damn hot. Never synthetic gloves (though there are heat resistant synthetics such as Nomex, I just haven’t tried them). Leather shrinks and becomes rigid when exposed to extreme heat. Seams fail first because they’re synthetic (plastic) thread. I consider gloves a semi-consumable. I’ve used cotton jersey gloves, they’re very cheap and provide some insulation, won’t melt onto your skin, but they also wear out quickly. Don’t use any glove with a hole in it, anywhere, you will get a burn. 

Footwear is always closed toe, usually leather, not necessarily boots, but socks must go above the ankle. No exposed skin!

There is a lot to be said for behavior over wardrobe. Tie your hair back. Never reach in, use a stick. Don’t stand in front of the firebox, stand to the side. A position five or ten inches lower can be 100° cooler.