Mason Stain for photo transfers

MMR

There are numerous articles and videos about using Mason Stains as ink for photo-lithography but, while they all say to use linseed oil, I get conflicting information. The same with using gum arabic. 

• There are several types of linseed oil (raw, refined, stand, etc.) and it seems like they have either recommended a particular type (all different) or just said "linseed oil". 
  • Some say to use gum arabic and others don't mention it.

Any clarification would be appreciated. And, if it makes any difference, I'll be transferring the image onto wet slabs.

Thanks,

Michele

I was fascinated by mainstream and "alternative" photographic techniques as a child. So some book knowledge and no practical experience with images on clay.

What is the name of the process you are using?

@blackthorn has been a/the major contributor to several threads on photo-lithography and other image transfer techniques.

He seems to have tried many processes, often with mixed success, and the best results I remember are from a ink-jet printer based idea, mentioned in a weakly-related thread.

In reply to your specific questions:

There are several types of linseed oil (raw, refined, stand, etc.) and it seems like they have either recommended a particular type (all different) or just said "linseed oil". 

Some say to use gum arabic and others don't mention it.

There are lots of process and gum arabic is used in at least two different ways.

1) Relying on the fact that oil and water don't mix.

For example a very simple process of taking an image from a photo-copy.
Photolithography on Clay
https://pistrucciartworks.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/photolithography-on-clay/

2) Using gum as the basis of a photo-emulsion, where the gum hardens when exposed and the unexposed gum can be washed away. [Having the same problems as newsprint -- limited tonal range and sometimes needing the use of half-toning.]
Some process issues
Trouble w/ Cyanotype on Bisqueware

Discussion of three variations on the theme: classical cyanotype, gum bichromate and gum with masion stains.

PS There are H&S issues with gum bichromate

Edited by PeterH

I am assuming you want to make a silkscreen by using a photo sensitive process and then to screen the image onto your clay slab(s).

You might look into china painting techniques with silkscreen. On non-porous surfaces (also wet clay slabs) the oil, used in tiny amounts mixed with the powdered pigment (Mason Stains in your case) will be tacky enough to stick to the non-porous surface without being absorbed into it. Then, the oil will be burned out at firing (provide adequate ventilation).

Linseed oil used by oil painters as a thinner will be the type you want. 

Edited by Rae Reich