Stull Chart v2.0

I was doing a bit of reading and stumbled across a new Stull chart. He seems to be doing the same experiment but at cone9 instead of cone11. It is interesting that the OG Stull chart is cone11 but everybody uses it at any cone.

This time he is glazing tiles and making the glaze into cones to see the deformation temperature. The solid line AB is his same “best gloss line”. The dashed line CD passes through the lowest deformation temperature in relation to Silica and the dotted line EF the same for Alumina.

Stull01.jpg.43fb896adfaa2e7d689836071f10cb02.jpg

He then goes on to plot it on top of the original Stull chart but misses out his new gloss line so I have done my best to add it back in blue.

Stull03.jpg.ee2616d50a7d965caf85fb09d2f615d9.jpg

It’s interesting how different the best gloss lines are. I tried adding on Silica:Alumina ratios but I haven’t had any good ideas yet. The wiggly silica line and shape of the deformation eutectic look like they tell me something but I haven’t figured anything out.

Stull03.jpg.628a4876994252717e7f160da6d7313f.jpg

If you want to read the paper - Deformation temperatures of some porcelain glazes – R.T Stull and W. L Howat. Transactions of the American Ceramic Society Volume 16. Page 454. Copyright 1914 by Edward Orton Jr Edward Orton Jr - https://archive.org/details/transactio16amer/page/454/mode/1up

Edited by High Bridge Pottery