Used Shimpo VL Lite not working

NancyE

Hello guys, I was at a warehouse recently that sells used heavy equipment, room sized metal lathes and drills etc., all sorts of cool stuff, when off in a corner I saw a potters wheel.  So I bought a Shimpo/Nidec VL Lite  wheel for $200.00.  Looks like it fell off a truck because the legs are bent, but otherwise very clean.  No clay, rust, dirt, really in beautiful shape.  My husband, who has a fair understanding of the pixies, (which I absolutely do not), has provided me with the following information: PWM DC Motor Drive, PWM: Pulse Width Modulation controller board model # 12MO4-00200, input volts: 120 VAC, output volts: 0-100VDC, cont. amps: 7A, max amps: 15A.  He has gone through everything with his meter tester and it appears the only thing acting suspicious is the  ZENER DIODE.  Does anyone happen to know which Zener Diode goes on the Shimpo VL lite wheel?  Of course we tried calling Shimpo, but they sent him to a course that veered into theory of electronics but did not answer our question.  He cannot find any schematics for this controller board on the internet.  Any help would be appreciated.

(I did shake out a bunch of dirty crystals that looked like rock salt which I assume were some kind of dessecant since there was no corrosion...)

Sincerely,

NancyE

Yes, a diode can be a surge protector and that is probably what the diode is doing for the motor. Your picture shows a device on the AC input line and it appears to be good.  I believe it is protecting the board and motor against voltage surges from the wall plug. The zener diode is on the PC board at the DC output line to the motor. It is labeled on the board as Z1. I have attached a pics showing its location on the board and then one of the diode. Neal  Thank you Peter and Neal.  NancyE

VL-Lite PC  Board.jpg

Zener diode on PC Board.jpg

You can test it but need to extract and hook up through a 10k ohm resistor and a 9v battery. Forward will give you .6-.7v across the junction, reverse should tell you the breakdown voltage. If it’s shattered and you. Find a similar color coded zener in the circuit then you may be able to test the good one to get an idea of the rating. Almost forgot to ask, does it run at all? Trip breaker? Can he measure the breakdown voltage in circuit as is?

Edited by Bill Kielb

Neil: thank you for the info to the manufacturer's page!

Bill: I will extract and test as you suggest. No breakers trip and the on-board fuse is good. The motor does not turn at all. I hooked up a battery directly to the motor and it turns so I don't think it is the problem.  I appreciate the advise!

Neal (Nancy's husband)