Paragon A88B, serial no. L79064

Lbs

16 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

I like your thinking but in-situ sounds much more acceptable than live circuit measurement. To have a meter that does both is helpful but for folks without experience in work on live circuits it has increased risk.

Ohm meter has been ordered! I did not get one with a  clamp 

In regard to the element end (the pig tail) I broke while trying to disconnect it from a wire:  what is left is just barely poking out of the hole. It seems if I can stretch it a 1/4 inch or so I could get enough to reattach to the pole (not sure if "pole" is the right word). Since it won't heat up by plugging in, what are my options for attempting to heat it? I don't have a torch, and haven't used on before so not sure this is the best scenario to learn on.  Would a heat gun work? 

If you stretch it cold it likely will snap. The typical practice to put elements back in grooves,  heat it with a propane torch to glow red, anything glowing will gently bend easily.  A heat gun won’t get it hot enough to glow red. Once cool though - it’s back to being brittle.  So torch would be my minimum suggestion.

On 11/9/2023 at 3:30 PM, neilestrick said:

I'd buy a cheap digital meter. They're easier to use and get precise readings .

My digital meter finally arrived, and I actually had time to check it out today. Here are the results from three different settings: at 200, the meter read 10.1, at 2k it read .010, at 20k it read.01

Thank you for your patience!

I thought I posted a response and now cant find it. Results from new digital meter are as follows (each element read the same): set to 200, meter read 10.1, at 2k it read .010, at 20k it read .01. So i assume  200 was the correct setting. 

Since doing this, i had the bright idea of trying to adjust a sagging element. Turned the kiln on to heat it up, and began pinching streteched coils. All good until pliers touched element below, then POP, sparks and electricity to whole garage goes out, no breaker tripped, including main! Looked for reset button on any outlets, found one but pushing it did nada. I've left a message with my electrician, but thought this extra info might provide additional insights to the wiring issues with the kiln i may be dealing with. 

Edited by Lbs
Typos

I assume the kiln was still on when you touched the coils? Super dangerous! Never touch anything while the power is on unless you're measuring voltage with a meter.

10.1 ohms is good. 120 volts divided by 10.1 gives us 11.88 amps, x2 = 23.76 amps per kiln section. So when you wire them in series, 10.1 x 2 = 20.2 ohms, and 240 volts divided by 20.2 = 11.88 x 2 = 23.76. So good to go. Now you need to get two infinite switches, something like THIS. You may be able to find them cheaper if you search around. Just make sure they're 240 volts, 15 amps, and include the knob. Robert Shaw is my preferred brand, but I'm sure there are others that work just fine too.

1 hour ago, neilestrick said:

I assume the kiln was still on when you touched the coils? Super dangerous! Never touch anything while the power is on unless you're measuring voltage with a meter.

10.1 ohms is good. 120 volts divided by 10.1 gives us 11.88 amps, x2 = 23.76 amps per kiln section. So when you wire them in series, 10.1 x 2 = 20.2 ohms, and 240 volts divided by 20.2 = 11.88 x 2 = 23.76. So good to go. Now you need to get two infinite switches, something like THIS. You may be able to find them cheaper if you search around. Just make sure they're 240 volts, 15 amps, and include the knob. Robert Shaw is my preferred brand, but I'm sure there are others that work just fine too.

Okay, thank you! Once i get the garage electrical issues sorted, I'll get on this. 
Will you be able to talk me through replacing the switches?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2023 at 7:14 PM, neilestrick said:

Yes, it's pretty easy.

You'll need a 30 amp circuit for the kiln.

The electrician who put the outlet in for my duncan kiln (with same plug as this paragon) has it on a 60amp circuit and assures me it's not too big. 

3 minutes ago, Lbs said:

The electrician who put the outlet in for my duncan kiln (with same plug as this paragon) has it on a 60amp circuit and assures me it's not too big. 

It's much too big. Code requires that kilns be on a circuit that is at least 25% greater than the draw of the kiln, but no more than 50% greater. So your 24 amp kiln can be on a 30 or 40 amp breaker. The plug may be oversized for the circuit, but that doesn't matter. The actual draw of the kiln is what counts.