How to disassemble skutt KS-1027

ABCLAY

Hi Ann,

Welcome to the Forum!

You might check with Skutt.
Their support is very responsive and helpful - when I had questions, a real (nice) person answered the phone.
Check their hours...

I had a year model 1983 1027 for several years.
As I recall, the sections lift apart.
They connect electrically via plugs -between the red boxes - which you will see when the segments are separated.
I'm not sure if your kiln is older or younger.
:)

Skutt has some older manuals available via their website; try this one?
KilnSitter - Kilns | Ceramic Pottery Kiln, Glass Kiln, Pottery Wheels | Skutt

Edited by Hulk
minor major edits

It depends on how the sections are wired together. If there's a hinge on the side of the upper and lower boxes, you'll need to open them up and disconnect the wires that go to the middle box. If there are no hinges on the sides of the boxes (they're just screwed to the kiln body on both sides), then they have inter-box plugs in the boxes and the sections can just be lifted apart. Either way, you do not need to do anything with the Sitter, just leave it connected to the middle ring.

I had a Skutt KS 1027 for 30 years they are easy to move.   If you had someone to help you move the rings the move will be easy,  the rings are not heavy just bulky and hard  to carry.   Take your lid off of the hinges don't try to leave it on the first ring.   The rings are plugged into each other,  do not set the lid down on the male part of the outlet.  When you lift up the first ring you will find the outlet in the same area as the kiln sitter.  I used a Skutt dual digital thermocouple set up on it for 20 years to adjust my firings.    The Skutt has a hole cut in the metal for a thermocouple you just need to drill out the hole.   I used the peepholes,  I cut the end off of two Skutt peephole plugs and filled the sides with firing wool making sure I could still get the thermocouple in and out.  The end of the Skutt peephole plug is so thin it can be ground off easily with a Dremel tool and stone bit.    Denice

As everyone has suggested, with luck, the kiln sections are plugged into each other and the sections can be easily separated.

If you're curious the folks at Skutt can tell you how old your kiln is based upon the serial number. My kiln is the 1027 predecessor, the 231, and they were able to tell me they purged the records for that kiln in 1975 so my kiln is at least 48 years old. (Still firing great with new elements.)

Before you move the sections, it would be helpful, to tighten the bands holding them together. (Usually, a series of hex nuts on the back of the kiln.) That way the bricks will move less. It's also helpful to move the sections horizontally in case the bands are loose. 

As you don't know how tight/loose the bricks are it is also helpful to have a flat board nearby so you're not moving the sections very far without support.