Paragon A88B kiln

I just purchased 2 Paragon A88B kilns and just kind of wondering what all I need to do to get going. One is in pretty great condition and the other is a possible vehicle for parts...

The power cord needs to be replaced. It looks as though it was burned somehow.

I think it needs a stand. Do I need to purchase a kiln stand or are there other options of things that would work. It will be going on a cement floor.

Should I replace the elements as a precaution?

I already have a 240 hookup for it, and will have an electrician come and check it out before using it. 

I was so excited and confident and now I am worried I am in over my head and maybe should have just bought a new kiln. :)

You say you have a 240V hookup for it. Be aware that the old A88B kilns used a 4-wire 120/240V hookup in which the neutral is essential. Also, kiln circuits need not only correct voltage, but also correct amperage of 125% of the nominal amperage shown on the electrical rating plate. But perhaps the hookup you have is correct? If so, carry on.

If the resistance of the elements is still within 10% of new then they're still usable. Get a kiln stand or set up some cinder blocks, oriented so the kiln sits on the flat sides and air can flow through below. If the floor underneath is not smooth and level it can be difficult to get the blocks to sit evenly. Do not put the kiln directly on the cement floor. Double check your serial plate, but as Dick said, those kilns need a 4 wire hookup rather than the typical 3 wire system. You'll need 2 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground. The kiln pulls 26 amps and code requires a breaker that it 25% greater than the draw but no more than 50% greater, so either a 35 or 40 amp breaker is required, with the appropriate size wires, at least 8 gauge. The power cord and outlet should be a NEMA 14-50 (50 amp) because they don't make a 40 amp outlet. Most kiln manufacturers will carry the cord, or you can build your own with SEOW cable if you're familiar with doing that.

This is really helpful. 

I am kind of kicking myself for this impulse purchase. I think that I perhaps should have waited and just put all the money (that I will spend on the electrician, new hookup, stand, new power cord) towards a new kiln. 

Do you think that there's a benefit to a manual kiln with a sitter in learning the kiln process and how it works before getting a more modern one? 

Someone please tell me all hope is not lost... :mellow:

A manual kiln will teach you everything you need to know about firing a kiln, because YOU are totally responsible for everything that happens - what switches to turn on, when to turn them on, when to turn them up to the next level, how to load it so the witness cones are visible so you can turn it off at the right time, yada yada yada. There are lots of potters who have only manual kilns by choice. At the same time, there are lots of potters with modern digital controller on their new kilns who think that having pushed a particular button means that is what happened, and are shocked to learn that didn't actually happen. So, work with this one.

As for the wiring, as Neil and I have noted, this one will require an older form of 240V power with 4 wires vs the usual 3 in most current 240V situations. The required amperage of the circuit is fairly narrow for any kiln. If you get a newer kiln, you will probably get one that is bigger, which will need higher amperage. The trick for this is have the electrician install wire suitable for 60 amps, but set a smaller circuit breaker appropriate for this kiln plus an outlet appropriate for the power cord you get. Then when you get the newer bigger kiln, all you have to do is swap in a bigger circuit breaker and change the outlet. The newer kiln won't need the 4th wire (the neutral), so just cap it off in the box. It's ok to run less power on bigger wires, but not ok to run more power on smaller wires. So, pay the sparkie to do it once with the big wires.

Thank you @Dick White. This is a good explanation and very helpful. I do love to know and understand the ins and outs. 

My electrician suggested getting this cord: (Cablectric 4 Prong Range Power Cord, 8 Foot - Heavy Duty 6/8 AWG 50 Amp Cable, NEMA 14-50 Plug, Stove Extension Cord to 4 Wire, NEMA 14-50 Extension Cord, 4 Plug Dryer Replacement Extension Cordhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BW4XFL7R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That does say 50 amps and not 60, so I am not completely clear on that.

Not sure yet on the actual outlet- I have him coming out to look. The house is from the 70s and has barely been updated so I think this kiln might fit right in! :D I don't know enough of what I am looking at to know for sure.

Crossing my fingers!

You have several things running in different directions here, so it can be confusing. This kiln needs a 4-wire circuit. Easy enough, Sparkie checks the old circuit and maybe it is an old 4-wire job. Maybe it is also sufficient gauge to support 35 or 40 amps as required by the 125% rule. Maybe there is already a 40 amp breaker on it. If so, the circuit is good to go for this kiln. Your remaining problem is the cord on the kiln needs to be replaced. Unlike extension cords and household appliance cords, kiln power cords are made with high temperature type SEO cable to accommodate the heat buildup of long-duration full amperage current when the kiln is running on high for several hours to finish the firing. The stove cord you linked to is not quite up to that spec, but since it is rated for twice the amperage your kiln will pull, it probably will do ok.

On the other hand, if the existing circuit in the wall is not sufficient, Sparkie has some work to do, and there are some choices to be made. The replacement circuit only needs a 40 amp breaker and 8 ga. 4-wire cable for this kiln. But you said you might step up to a bigger kiln in the future, so future-proof the circuit now. The biggest plug-in kilns (which are actually quite common among hobby potters) draw 48 amps and require a 60 amp breaker with 6 ga. wire (though possibly 4 ga. if the run back to the panel is really long). So, ask Sparkie to install the 6 ga. cable and put a 40 amp breaker in the panel. The cable will be a bit more expensive and seemingly overkill for now, but you will only be paying for the labor once. When you upgrade in the future, all that will be needed is a new breaker and receptacle, the expensive part of pulling the cable will already be done.

kelsey, congratulations on getting your first kiln.   it is the same kind i started with in 1972 or 3.   it was a good learning experience and i remember the electrician who installed it did not know anything about kilns.   we called in an expert and i was a glad to have him.  my house was built in 1940 and did not have enough amps for anything modern.  forget the stuff we use today!

if the person you are using is not experienced in kiln work and does not even know that other kinds of "fat" cords are not correct for a kiln, ask your local supplier for some names .    if you are lucky enough to have a local supplier.

it really matters that someone knows how to do it correctly.    you do not want to provide the first negative experience that makes him/her learn what not to do.

north carolina is full of potters.   look up someone and ask for a reference.  just throw a rock in any direction and it will probably hit a potter.