Pouring thick slip

s6x

is there a way to pour slip "thickly" onto normally moist clay and get them to stick together and not crack?  In other words I am working on a sculpture and would like part of it to be a cluster of stalagmites and stalactites.   This would be easy to create by putting slip into a cake decorating piping tool, but then how would I prevent this thick slip from separating and cracking when it dries and is fired? 

image.png

If you make a very thick slip, then make it desired fluidity by using Darvan or sodium silicate, just drop by drop, then with less water involved there will be less shrinkage. Too much darvan will make it go clumpy.

Also, spray your sculpture with a fine mist of water prior to adding slip to it will help also.

3 hours ago, PeterH said:

May be of interest, as it indicate that clay:water ratio and slip fluidly can -- to some extent -- be controlled independently.

@PeterHThis is a great video. The thickened slip John is making will stand up and maintain its own shape. If the slip the OP ,  @s6x,  wants needs to flow over existing texture, it doesn't need re thickening  but testing will need to happen to get the required fit to the clay body being used.

You can get a similar look by squeezing a natural sponge in thick slip then firing that. I tried it with different sponges and the rougher sponges with the larger holes did turned out well. I found inexpensive sponges that were a bit rough looking at a dollar store. What worked for me was to get the sponge wet with water first then squeeze the water out really well then squeeze the sponge in a container of slip. I was using porcelain slip made from a pugged clay, nothing but water added to it. 

Link here which showing another members work with it.  https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/17192-clay-sponge-slip-submerged-sponge/

18 hours ago, Min said:

You can get a similar look by squeezing a natural sponge in thick slip then firing that. I tried it with different sponges and the rougher sponges with the larger holes did turned out well. I found inexpensive sponges that were a bit rough looking at a dollar store. What worked for me was to get the sponge wet with water first then squeeze the water out really well then squeeze the sponge in a container of slip. I was using porcelain slip made from a pugged clay, nothing but water added to it. 

Link here which showing another members work with it.  https://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/17192-clay-sponge-slip-submerged-sponge/

thank you.  that looks  interesting