Kiln outdoors vs. basement

s6x

I've been sculpting for a long time, but just recently started working with ceramics and need to get a kiln for occasional firing.   Looking at the L&L E18T-3   w17"x h27" $3051 or Skutt KM1027-3 w(23" x h27") $4523. as most of my sculptures are tall and narrow.    

My original plan was to put the kiln on my 500sf  patio where the ground is stone pavers and open sky above.    But there's no real space to build a huge enclosure for it.  Has anyone figured out a solution where you store the kiln in a small enclosure, then roll it out of there when firing?  Maybe erect some kind of temporary metal mesh tent around it so leaves don't fall on it while firing?  Been looking at animal enclosures, dog cages, etc that would be slightly larger than the size of the kiln   Limiting firing to good weather days would not be much of an issue for me, but there are lots of trees and small animals and insects around.    I'm in upstate New York

Alternatively I have a basement, but it's fairly cramped and ceiling height is only 6 feet with wooden beams and spray foam insulation above.    I can't find the recommended "ceiling clearance" for kilns, but it seems to me that I would risk burning down the house.  walls and floor are cement so that's all good and there are 2 small windows.   But the area is only about 8 feet wide by 25 feet long and has my water treatment equipment, furnace, well pump, softener nd a bunch of garden stuff, and tools and house Paints.   I will be firing all sorts of glazes as well so keeping it on the patio for sure would feel safer.  

Been thinking about this for a couple of weeks and thought maybe someone else here has dealt with a similar situation and could give me some ideas of what to do? 

Pretty clear you’re need an outdoor solution. It’s likely to solve more problems than it creates. An enclosure is doable, not rocket science. You will need good casters and a very smooth surface to roll that kiln. Kiln fires in open air, is retreated to its kennel/shelter when cool. With enough space around it elaborate leaf catching schemes may not be necessary. A hose is necessary. It’s gotta stay out of the weather when not in use. 

I fired a big Skutt in a basement like that for 13 years,   I had some ventilation but not enough,  you have windows so you could probably run a vent hose out it.   My ceiling was tongue and groove boards  and my floor and walls were cement.   You could always put up some cement board if the ceiling worries you.   The Skutt was in the same area as the breaker box,  I had a electrician put in the correct breaker, wire and outlet.   It was a old house and some of it still had knob and tube wiring.   Make sure you buy a kiln that comes in sections,  much easier to move.  On days the kiln was fuming more than my ventilation set up could handle I would stay out of the basement.   I don't think there is a system that removes all of the fumes.  My kilns are in a separate room  with a Skutt dual vent system,  a window and a ceiling exhaust.  Sometimes I can still smell fumes,  I can shut the door or leave the room.    Denice

1 hour ago, Denice said:

I fired a big Skutt in a basement like that for 13 years,   I had some ventilation but not enough,  you have windows so you could probably run a vent hose out it.   My ceiling was tongue and groove boards  and my floor and walls were cement.   You could always put up some cement board if the ceiling worries you.   The Skutt was in the same area as the breaker box,  I had a electrician put in the correct breaker, wire and outlet.   It was a old house and some of it still had knob and tube wiring.   Make sure you buy a kiln that comes in sections,  much easier to move.  On days the kiln was fuming more than my ventilation set up could handle I would stay out of the basement.   I don't think there is a system that removes all of the fumes.  My kilns are in a separate room  with a Skutt dual vent system,  a window and a ceiling exhaust.  Sometimes I can still smell fumes,  I can shut the door or leave the room.    Denice

Thank you Denice.  Did you find that the fumes would migrate into the house above?  My house is old too. built 1935...  

Definitely cannot leave a kiln outdoors unprotected. In a climate like yours I don't really recommend having it uncovered ever, but you gotta do what you gotta do. A cover over it when it's not in use can work, but you've really got to be conscious of the weather. Depending on the size of the kiln you get, you'll need anywhere from 24-36 hours of good weather to get it from room temp to peak temp and back to room temp. Expect a lot more corrosion on the kiln since it's not indoors.

The basement can work fine, you just need to vent it properly. I'd use a Vent-A-Kiln hood mounted on a swing arm.

I have agree with @neilestrick here, and would amend my earlier post to say  "It's gotta stay out of the weather. Period." Upon reflection, and a good night's rest, I'm going to backpedal on casters a bit too. It could be managed, they'd have to lock, but  still seems a bit dicey considering you're connected to electricity. 

My main reservation was that low ceiling, but again Neil's ventilation suggestion is apt. As is the idea to put cement board on the ceiling, from @Denice. The windows will help a lot. 

I’m gonna hijack/add questions to this thread, sorry. I have an old cone 6 kiln I’m getting ready to find it’s place in my TN space, I have a 8’ wide by 24’ long porch built onto the garage (cement floor, 12 foot metal roof and sides), there is an open front along the 24’ side, I’m hoping tucking the kiln in a corner covered when not in use, and firing 18” plus away from the walls uncovered would be okay? What ideas and suggestions do you all have?

@s6x I think the ideas above very helpful, just need to add: Vent a kiln likely a must in your basement capable to remove the kiln off gasses and the heat produced by it.  Along with that the vent will need to be able to draw in its own outdoor air for cooling. Since you have a furnace (and likely a dryer) you will need to make sure the vent can be supplied it’s own air and not pulled back through an appliance such as your furnace or dryer.

when in doubt, since this is your home rated fire protection material is important. Type X 5/8” drywall has a fire rating. Drywall works as an approved rated fire barrier because the moisture bound in it is an important component of the protection. Cement board is great for its sturdy structure, but generally is not a rated fire barrier material. You are trying to protect the combustible materials of your home.

So not undoable, but well thought out ventilation and protection with sensible operation to remove all excess heat throughout the firing worthwhile IMO.

The primary issue with having a kiln outdoors is that you need a solid 24-36 hours where you know there won't be any bad weather. If a surprise storm rolls in your'e in trouble. In some climates like Arizona or San Diego that's not a problem. In the rest of the country it's a gamble. The other issue is moisture building up underneath whatever you're using to cover it, especially in humid environments. With a manual kiln that's not such a big deal, but in a digital kiln it can ruin the controller. And in both situations you'll get a lot more corrosion on the kiln. My feeling is that if you wouldn't leave your desktop computer there then you shouldn't have your kiln there. I don't see the sense in spending a few thousand dollars on a kiln just to risk ruining it.

On 9/25/2023 at 12:05 PM, s6x said:

Thank you Denice.  Did you find that the fumes would migrate into the house above?  My house is old too. built 1935...  

I never noticed the fumes migrating upstairs,  I could barely smell them in the studio next door.   I thought I should play it safe and leave the area,   my house was built in 1929.   We had to move I was having trouble climbing the 4 flights of stairs.   I was diagnosed with MS after we moved,  the only stairs we have now go to the basement to hide from tornado's.    Denice