test kiln recommendation

s6x

Getting a kiln set up.

AT HOME I have space to install 1 larger unit, outdoors, on the patio in a metal Home Depot shed.

AT THE STUDIO, I don't have space, ventilation or electric for a large kiln, but I'm hoping I can set up a small test kiln there, that uses regular 120v wall outlets. I've read that some small kilns fire in as little as 3 hours, so I'm thinking I could leave the space when firing, (since I don't have proper ventilation, except opening the window).  

Researching small kilns, there are "glaze kilns" "doll kilns". and "small kilns" and I'm getting a bit confused.  What is the difference?  I want to use it to experiment with glazes and clay mixes.  Don't need anything fancy, but need it to be accurate.  and for it to plug into a regular wall outlet.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

A kiln that's appropriate for the target temperature(s), that's one consideration, e.g., if you're working in midrange (Cone 5/6), a kiln rated to Cone 10 will last a good long while.
If you are working at the upper limit/rating of your kiln, having to replace the elements will come much faster.

For your testing, following a firing profile (time and temperature) that's similar to your big/production/main kiln is another consideration. A test/small kiln with a controller makes that much easier, otherwise you're having to hover and flip the switches on and off to replicate the firing profile...

Hope that helps!
...mainly, just wanted to "bump" your thread so you might get some responses...

Get a kiln that can go to cone 10 if your'e planning to fire to cone 5/6. Also get a digital kiln, because you need to be able to control the cooling rate in order to get the same results as your bigger kilns. There are many test kilns that will use a 120V circuit, but they need a 20 amp circuit, not a typical 15 amp household circuit. There are also 240 volt test kilns. Pretty much all kiln brands make test kilns, but the Olympic Doll-E is probably the best deal out there. It goes to cone 10 and is big enough to hold a couple of mugs, not just some little test tiles.

15 hours ago, neilestrick said:

Get a kiln that can go to cone 10 if your'e planning to fire to cone 5/6. Also get a digital kiln, because you need to be able to control the cooling rate in order to get the same results as your bigger kilns. There are many test kilns that will use a 120V circuit, but they need a 20 amp circuit, not a typical 15 amp household circuit. There are also 240 volt test kilns. Pretty much all kiln brands make test kilns, but the Olympic Doll-E is probably the best deal out there. It goes to cone 10 and is big enough to hold a couple of mugs, not just some little test tiles.

This does look like the perfect unit.  Thank you! I do have 20 amp outlets and even a 30amp 240volt outlet, but to use the 240volt outlet I would need to use an extension cord as it's located in my studio mate's section.   Probably not a good idea to run extension cords with a kiln.   

I bought a new Paragon Caldera XL last year.   My old test AIM test  kiln was in need of repair,   I was wanting to jump into the world of computerized firing.  It  has a Genisis controller and very tightly built with three inch bricks.   The three inch brick is very important,  my AIM had two inch brick that  cooled down way to fast.  I would try to slow it down manually,  it was very difficult to do.   I never felt like my test were totally accurate,  the glazes always looked different when they came out of a large firing.  The Genisis controller is also easy to use,  I believe the Caldera takes a 15amp outlet.   You could fire two mugs in it.  You may have to find a smaller test kiln with thick walls for a 120v outlet   Firing a test glaze fast could produce different results  than a big standard firing.   The Genisis  glaze program  is hours slower than the program I fired manually.   My L&L has the same controller so I just let it do it thing.    Denice

On 9/22/2023 at 12:31 PM, Denice said:

I bought a new Paragon Caldera XL last year.   My old test AIM test  kiln was in need of repair,   I was wanting to jump into the world of computerized firing.  It  has a Genisis controller and very tightly built with three inch bricks.   The three inch brick is very important,  my AIM had two inch brick that  cooled down way to fast.  I would try to slow it down manually,  it was very difficult to do.   I never felt like my test were totally accurate,  the glazes always looked different when they came out of a large firing.  The Genisis controller is also easy to use,  I believe the Caldera takes a 15amp outlet.   You could fire two mugs in it.  You may have to find a smaller test kiln with thick walls for a 120v outlet   Firing a test glaze fast could produce different results  than a big standard firing.   The Genisis  glaze program  is hours slower than the program I fired manually.   My L&L has the same controller so I just let it do it thing.    Denice

Do you "vent" your test kiln?  Or are they just too small for that? 

I don't vent either of my test kilns,   I think they are too small.   I have put a piece of shelving under the edge of the lid during a bisque firing.    My old AIM kiln had a large peep hole that the fumes could get out.   My new Paragon is sealed up,  no peep holes.  I remove the piece of shelf when the fumes are gone.  a window is behind the test kiln.   I have a small manual kiln that I can easily fill and do a bisque firing so I try to stick to glaze firings in the test kilns.    Denice