Old kiln, safe reclaim?

Hello,

I am new here! I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I did browse through some posts and didn't see anything that completely related. 

I am looking to get back into pottery as I used to work at a shop but haven't for maybe ten years. I just got a second hand skutt sitter kiln that may be from 80s. 

My main question is how do I set it up to test it for firing to make sure it works and do so safely... but I would like to give background information first.

The kiln belonged to someones nana who passed and it was stored in a basement for 20ish years. 

As far as where I will be running and storing it my plan is most likely keep it outside of the house in a sheltered area on concrete to avoid any fumes going into the house. It is under an overhang of our house that is quite deep so it will not get much rain or snow in addition I am going to create a weather tight removable box to put around it for when it is not in use, like a mini shed. I have read it is okay to do but want professional opinions.

The kiln condition is old. Outside is fair/good & inside there are some cracked bricks here and there but the brick is very chalky, more so than I am used to perhaps from moisture of the basement or age. The top and bottom are solid, no cracks. Hinges are fair, I will probably replace some of the hardware and shine it up.

I did see the post about lead so I will test it and treat accordingly.

As far as the innards go the elements are old and old looking but not falling apart. Should I go ahead and just replace all of the elements and the cone terminal and check for corrosion or am I generally ok to clean it then fire it up-cross my fingers and see if it works without catching anything on fire?

Forgive me if this has an obvious answer, I ran kilns before but never managed their maintenance.

20230812_152012.jpg

20230812_151922.jpg

20230812_152103.jpg

20230812_152138.jpg

Hi colormek8art,

Welcome to the Forum!

Wow, that kiln looks to be in good shape.

While waiting on responses, could you confirm the phase requirement; is it three phase?

Also curious, what are the amperage and max temp ratings?

To test/run safely, the wiring must be proper.
The max temp rating could be important; what temperature target/range do you work in?

Edited by Hulk
can't quite read the placard...

Just to suggest, this looks to be a three phase kiln capable of about cone 6. To start maybe post a clearer picture of the equipment tag and possibly the cord end that is on it. If you know, what cone will you be working in: cone 04 (Lowfire) cone 6 ( midrange) and / or cone 10 (Highfire) then add that as well.

Your home is single phase, so confirming that this is three phase  as well as what cone you plan to work in are probably best first steps before ordering elements.

Edited by Bill Kielb

5 hours ago, Hulk said:

Hi colormek8art,

Welcome to the Forum!

Wow, that kiln looks to be in good shape.

While waiting on responses, could you confirm the phase requirement; is it three phase?

Also curious, what are the amperage and max temp ratings?

To test/run safely, the wiring must be proper.
The max temp rating could be important; what temperature target/range do you work in?

Yes sorry i down saved my photos for this post. I will be working at cone 06 primarily and then hopefully some glass fusing.  Temp says 2250 and it says 115/230/208 for volts  4600 watts i believe.  They said they had it on a hook up for stove. I am going to check it with my friend who is an electrician for the hookup. I really want to be sure I do my best that the parts are sound prior to testing it out. 

5 hours ago, colormek8art said:

Yes sorry i down saved my photos for this post. I will be working at cone 06 primarily and then hopefully some glass fusing.  Temp says 2250 and it says 115/230/208 for volts  4600 watts i believe.  They said they had it on a hook up for stove. I am going to check it with my friend who is an electrician for the hookup. I really want to be sure I do my best that the parts are sound prior to testing it out. 

@davidh4976 I don’t have the Reddit location this was at @colormek8art but assuming you will be working lowfire and / or glass the cone 6 limit likely will be ok. It is a manual kiln though so fusing, slumping, squeezing, annealing  can be a bit of a challenge compared with a kiln with an automatic controller. If you were to be using this for midfire clays (cone 6) then you will likely only get several firings from this  before you will need an element change.  I believe that plate says model 181 so to that end your electrician will likely find the 181 manual handy. You can download here: https://skutt.com/skutt-resources/manuals/kilnsitter/ 

These kilns often said to be three wire actually required two hot legs and a full sized neutral as well as an earth ground for safety. They were in effect two present day residential 120 v. circuits and an optional ground wire which I would suggest is no longer optional. So having your electrician figure this out in advance is important. See pic below, “if” this is your model. Note the four wire power cord.

IMG_3980.jpeg

Edited by Bill Kielb

10 hours ago, Bill Kielb said:

@davidh4976 I don’t have the Reddit location this was at @colormek8art but assuming you will be working lowfire and / or glass the cone 6 limit likely will be ok. It is a manual kiln though so fusing, slumping, squeezing, annealing  can be a bit of a challenge compared with a kiln with an automatic controller. If you were to be using this for midfire clays (cone 6) then you will likely only get several firings from this  before you will need an element change.  I believe that plate says model 181 so to that end your electrician will likely find the 181 manual handy. You can download here: https://skutt.com/skutt-resources/manuals/kilnsitter/ 

These kilns often said to be three wire actually required two hot legs and a full sized neutral as well as an earth ground for safety. They were in effect two present day residential 120 v. circuits and an optional ground wire which I would suggest is no longer optional. So having your electrician figure this out in advance is important. See pic below, “if” this is your model. Note the four wire power cord.

IMG_3980.jpeg

That is super helpful! Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I will definitely share this with them.