GLAZE TEST TILE IDEAS

Hi all, I am rather a newbie - I have my own set up at home complete with a kiln and I am collecting glazes - of which I have about 60 so far.  Starting with my white clay I made a test tile for each glaze and marked them.  I will also be using a red clay and the thought of repeating that process - which took forever - is making me procrastinate but I really need to get it done.  What are some ideas for maybe putting a lot of the glazes on one piece instead of 60 small tiles - space is going to be an issue eventually.  TIA for suggestions.

they are brushing glazes? if you brush to glaze your pieces then you should be fine to brush how many ever will fit on to a piece and fire it. even if they arent brushing glazes and you are just trying to get a sense of them you could brush them on fire it and see what you like out of the 60 and then run a set of test tiles with those. might be helpful to make use wax resist to draw a grid on the test piece and glaze each square if you want to minimize them running into each other.

32 minutes ago, akilpots said:

they are brushing glazes? if you brush to glaze your pieces then you should be fine to brush how many ever will fit on to a piece and fire it. even if they arent brushing glazes and you are just trying to get a sense of them you could brush them on fire it and see what you like out of the 60 and then run a set of test tiles with those. might be helpful to make use wax resist to draw a grid on the test piece and glaze each square if you want to minimize them running into each other.

Yes, brushing glazes. I am making handmade mosaic tile pieces, not actually pottery. I'm not that talented yet!   Great suggestion on the wax resist - I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!

1 hour ago, KellySnider said:

Hi all, I am rather a newbie - I have my own set up at home complete with a kiln and I am collecting glazes - of which I have about 60 so far.  Starting with my white clay I made a test tile for each glaze and marked them.  I will also be using a red clay and the thought of repeating that process - which took forever - is making me procrastinate but I really need to get it done.  What are some ideas for maybe putting a lot of the glazes on one piece instead of 60 small tiles - space is going to be an issue eventually.  TIA for suggestions.

Edit:  I deleted my reply as it did not pertain to mosaics.

Edited by Marilyn T

It’s wonderful! Just start. 60 glazes is an awful lot, maybe pick 20 and make a tile for each, then another 20 tiles for combinations, to get rolling. Honestly, just pick 10. Two glazes together can be very different depending which one is on top. Thick or thin applications will make a difference. 60 glazes, you’ll spend your life making test tiles, haha!

Start firing them so you know which ones you love. I should have such problems. :)

If you are interested in glaze-over-glaze effects ...

Basic "evening-class stuff", but a big test tile with a stripe of each of N glazes one way, overlain with a stripe of each glaze at right angles shows you the effects of all N glazes under/over all the others. I wouldn't try with N=60 though!

...  a blank line in one direction [so an Nx(N-1) grid] shows single and double coverage of each glaze as well.

The chief drawback is that you are only showing a spot of glaze fired on a smooth horizontal surface. Which probably isn't a big issue with tests for mosaic tiles. Still doesn't explore variations of glaze thickness (although the N+1 idea helps).

PS Cannot find a picture at the moment, so I'll try to draw it. Underlined letters written on the test-tile. x/y indicates glaze x over glaze y.

A    B     C
--    a       b      c
A  a/a  a/b  a/c
B b/a  b/b  b/c
c/a  c/b  c/c

... here is an example with paints rather than glazes
https://www.chrishilbig.com/review-golden-open-acrylic-paints/
color-overlay-test-Golden-OPEN-acrylic-p

Edited by PeterH

+1 for 60 being a LOT of glazes, and needing to narrow it down somehow. Glaze testing is indeed time consuming, and a lot of brushing glazes can start to look similar when used in combination, so 60 is going to give you a certain amount of redundancy. That’s not a comment on how people use them, it’s more that some colourants will simply overpower others, or if you combine 2 similar glazes, the difference on a small tile is going to be academic.

As someone who hates doing testing, I suggest you DO NOT just use everything you have in all possible combinations and hope for inspiration. Choose an end goal, or at least an end ballpark. Without an effect in mind you want to achieve, you don’t really have a way to decide whether a test was successful or not, and that can demotivate a lot of people.