Black Iron Oxide glaze turning creamy instead of brown

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help explain why one of my go-to glazes is acting completely differently to past results. I am using stoneware. 

The glaze is Turner's white with 5% black iron oxide added and mixed in. In the past this has created a lovely deep brown which I have used everywhere. However I made a new batch up last week and fired it (slow glaze, cone 6 on an L&L kiln) and it came out a colour that looks like buttercream. At first I thought it might be because I added a soak to the firing to make sure the bottom layer got fully glazed but I did another firing this week with no soak and the same thing happened, albeit with a smoother, nicer effect than the first time. I am going to buy some cones to check the temp for sure but it's still very weird... I am also using a clay that looks more pink than buff  when bisqued – could this have an effect? 

Thanks! 

Maria 

35 minutes ago, Min said:

Hi Maria and welcome to the forum!

Is this the Turner's White recipe you used? If it is did you include the zirconium opacifier both in the past and with this current batch?

Article on Turner's white with some examples
It Slices, It Dices! Some Simple Glaze Tests Reveal a Ceramic Glaze That Can Do it All (well, almost)
https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/article/It-Slices-It-Dices-Some-Simple-Glaze-Tests-Reveal-a-Ceramic-Glaze-That-Can-Do-it-All-well-almost
.. I notice it says under Colour Development
The second part of our project was to use Turner's White as a base, but just exclude the Zircopax (an opacifier).