Can this piece be saved?

CPT

Hi all:

I wanted to repair and old piece that I had glazed last year. This was a bisqueware teapot that I had painted with Duncan Concepts underglaze. I fired this piece at Cone 06 and then discovered that the glaze crawled away around the handle. It left some unsightly bare spots, exposing the white bisque underneath.

Well, I went ahead and took this piece and warmed it in the microwave for a few minutes, to that the glaze would stick to it a little bitter. I used two coats on these bare spots. I fired it again at Cone 06 and the glaze crawled away again!!! UGH....I really want to save this piece somehow.....any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

post-10505-136309607487_thumb.jpg

post-10505-136309607487_thumb.jpg

Hi! The second firing didn't change the overall surface. The overall glaze is pretty good; it didn't budge much over most of the entire surface. It's just that the glaze can't seem to glaze fire over these spots at all.

Oh well; if this can't be saved I'll just have to toss it. :(

besides heating it up to help adhere your glaze, did you do anything else to prep it? i would try it again, but this time perhaps chip off the lifted crawl sections if you can, perhaps try to scarify the clay by sanding slightly and follow up with a good cleaning with a solvent (like rubbing alcohol). Apply 2-3 coats of your glaze and perhaps fire it slightly hotter to ^05. Are you using a glaze in combination with the UG, or just by itself?

If you want to save this ... which I don't know why since you could probably make another one in the time it will take you to fix this. ... you need to sand the piece, get out the wet dry sand paper, and get to sanding .... course then smooth grades. keep sanding well past when you think you are past the surface mistakes ... then sand a little more ... about a good hour of sanding should do it. then, completely clean off the piece, scrub with a scrubby sponge, you don't want any of the silicon carbide to stay in the grooves from sanding. then let dry. after that, reglaze, refire and see if that does it.

not worth it though, just make another, use that one as the template, decorate the same way.

Hi....

No, I didn't do anything else to prep this piece.

I only warmed in the microwave.

I will first warm, then sand, then scrape away loose pieces.

I didn't combine the underglaze with anything else, just straight out of the bottle. I used Duncan Concepts. I originally fired it to Cone 06....should I fire it longer, or just fire it to Cone 05?

Maybe

I'll try firing again and see what happens.....thanks so much!

There must be something contaminating the clay in that area and preventing a good glaze bond. Toss it and start over.

I think Neil may be right. I also wonder when you first second fired did you remove all of the sanding dust in some manner?

Archived