36th California Conference for the Advancement of Ceramic Arts - April 28-29th Davis California

This years event will also have a  book  signing on The Humboldt State Potshop-known as the Laundry on Friday the 28th. I'll be there for that . Its at the John Natsoulas Gallery in Davis 7pm-8pm

This is a large multi gallery ceramic  art shows all over town. Much to see and its a two day affair. I have business in Sacramento that day so I'm combining the trip with the Humboldt Alumni book signing. I also wrote a piece in this book  as well.

Never seen the book buts its on 50 years of the Laundry. Which sadly is slated for demo within the next few years.

Humboldt now is Cal poly Humboldt and got  a large grant to build out science stuff (building /parking lots /staff/ etc) and since the Liberal Arts is on the decline in enrollment across the USA those depts are shrinking.  Looks like the ceramic potshop will continue at the school after they tear down the pottery builing for a parking lot. They are planning I found out to move it to an old building on campus -not sure when or if it will take a few years to get it done but there is a plan of sorts. Last tenured Professor retried and its all temporary lecture hires so they are cutting costs in many other fields except science .

Here are some links

https://www.natsoulas.com/ccaca-2023/

https://www.facebook.com/CCACA2020/

The event was well attended and the last 3 pottery professors where there to sign the books as well as a few of us HSU alumni.Good to see the old teachers as well for me at least.Only one is left from my time long ago and he looked great still.

Edited by Mark C.

• Mark C. changed the title to 36th California Conference for the Advancement of Ceramic Arts - April 28-29th Davis California

Well the book turned out pretty good. It's filled with color photos and spans 50 years of ceramic artists that came from the Laundry. I have several photos in the book as well. They sent me a link to it as its on amazon now as well. Its good read on a fantastic clay facility .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3ZBRS4X?ref=myi_title_dp

Thanks for posting this Mark. I'm a big fan of all things art related and the California scene. In the 70's/80's the work of Ken Price was getting lots of attention and it drew my attention to what was going on.  

Also in the 70's, when I was in high school, my mom worked with a gal who had lived next door to Gertrude and Otto Natzler.  (And helped them in their studio.) When she found out I was a potter-in-training she gave me all her tools and showed me her collection of their work.  Only afterwards did I do some research and found out just what amazing glazes they created.

• 1 month later...