Imery's Kaopearl kaolin casting slip

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has used Imery's replacement for SSP, Kaopearl, in a successful slip? I've tried a variety of recipes, the last being this one which I used to use for SSP. There would always be slight adjustments but now the slip seems to be unable to take more deflocculant and I'm concerned about raising the water too high to keep the specific gravity in the correct range of about 1.75 -1.78

28l water
250 antiprex
450 alcosperse
35kg China clay (SSP)
25kg feldspar
11kg silica

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Antiprex, a dispersant, rheology modifier, per worldofchemicals.com

Antiprex 461 is an aqueous solution of low molecular weight polyacrylic acid. It is an effective dispersant and rheology modifier for kaolin, gold processing slurries and other mineral suspensions. It functions as an efficient antiscalant for the prevention of scale deposits including calcium carbonate, calcium sulphate, strontium sulphate and barium sulphate in industrial systems.

Alcospere, a dispersant, per manufacturer's website

Alcosperse® 149 is a pale amber liquid acrylate-based dispersant designed for general use in kaolin, calcium carbonate, paints, paper coatings and a variety of pigment slurry applications.

Just curious.

Hi Alistair,

Welcome to the Forum.
What are the units for those two ingredients?

Edited by Hulk
Kaolin for tableware.

What defloculant(s) are you using?  If there are other dispersants/rheological-modifiers about there may be interactions.

I've no idea how the various sorts of deflocculants interact, so speculation follows.

> Antiprex 461 is an aqueous solution of low molecular weight polyacrylic acid
> Alcosperse® 149 is a pale amber liquid acrylate-based dispersant

BTW https://digitalfire.com/material/sodium+polyacrylate
Sodium polyacrylate dispersants like Allied Colloids 311 and Darvan #7 are used as an alternative to sodium silicate in casting bodies used in ceramics.

If you are currently using a polyacrylate defloculant it might be worth trying to something else/in-addition  as there are already polyacrylates about.
https://digitalfire.com/article/deflocculants%3A+a+detailed+overview

PS

Just for the record, a back-to-basics "lab-technician" guide to optimising the level of deflocculant in a slip
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/527ac372e4b0d4e47bb0e554/t/527fd7f1e4b0c046bfa9b90d/1384110065234/Dispersant+Addition+Procedures.pdf

... and a longer presentation with  some pictures
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/34584429/slip-casting-alfreds-clay-store
image.png.b34c0d014bf4c4630a4b248cd4b8290c.png
... I've no idea how this sort of clay interaction would react with the more ionic deflocculants

IIRC neither discuss the use of multiple deflocculants (except soda ash + sodium silicate)

Hey Alistair,

While I know the 1.75 is considered the perfect SG have you had any luck with using more water than normal? In my own studio I work with a cone 6 porcelain and have no problem with the water level. (I don't measure in other words.) During the day, however, I work at a pottery that produces both cast and thrown stoneware pots. I did the SG weight test recently and found they like to run with a 1.68 SG level.   (Meaning more water than normal.) Initially I thought that was a bit more water, than was necessary, but I realized the casters like it at that level so I let it be.

Every clay is different and some adjust easily and some don't.  A little experimentation can lead to unexpected results.