Organic Clay Textures

Hello everyone!  I am new to this.  I LOVE the texture on the picture I provided but I am trying to understand how it is done.  The texture looks like there is a lot of sand but did the artist use a slip and then added a grog/chamotte to it and then covered the piece to create this type of texture?  Would love to understand your thoughts on how I can go about to creating this texture on one of my pieces.  I just love the organic look of natural clay used and it's texture.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.01.20 AM.png

Hi Rosie and welcome to the forum!

Yes, it does look like the artist applied a thick extremely sandy or groggy slip to the piece. I would suggest adding sand or grog to slip made from the same clay and applying it as soon as possible to the damp pot.

Would you mind adding the name of the artist as per Terms of Use which asks that if the work isn't made by the member they give credit to the artist, thanks.

4 hours ago, Rosie S said:

The texture looks like there is a lot of sand but did the artist use a slip and then added a grog/chamotte to it and then covered the piece to create this type of texture?  Would love to understand your thoughts on how I can go about to creating this texture on one of my pieces.  I just love the organic look of natural clay used and it's texture.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

I have created this texture by dipping the bowl in glaze, and immediately roll the bowl in a container of dry sand or crushed white dried claybody.  The wet glaze will capture the dry material and "glue" the dry material to the surface during the firing.  A similar effect using a slip of the bowl's claybody on the bowl surface followed by the dry material.  My experience has been that the a "stiff" melted glaze works better than a runny one, but both will work if the ratios of glaze and dry material are worked out by testing.  

LT

8 hours ago, Min said:

Hi Rosie and welcome to the forum!

Yes, it does look like the artist applied a thick extremely sandy or groggy slip to the piece. I would suggest adding sand or grog to slip made from the same clay and applying it as soon as possible to the damp pot.

Would you mind adding the name of the artist as per Terms of Use which asks that if the work isn't made by the member they give credit to the artist, thanks.

Thank you for the welcome to the forum.  I also thank you for the information about what you might think the artist did to create this texture.  Because I am new to this and didn't understand that i should have made sure i gave credit and name the artist. I found the picture on Pinterest while searching texture on clay but i believe the name was eriquetta cepeda.  I am not sure how I was suposed to give credit but please let me know and how I can fix it so that the artist does get credit or if you need to take down the photo.  Thank you

5 hours ago, Magnolia Mud Research said:

I have created this texture by dipping the bowl in glaze, and immediately roll the bowl in a container of dry sand or crushed white dried claybody.  The wet glaze will capture the dry material and "glue" the dry material to the surface during the firing.  A similar effect using a slip of the bowl's claybody on the bowl surface followed by the dry material.  My experience has been that the a "stiff" melted glaze works better than a runny one, but both will work if the ratios of glaze and dry material are worked out by testing.  

LT

Thank you for your input on this!  I am going to test both ways to see which way I like better and if it creates the texture look i love on my pieces 

10 hours ago, Rosie S said:

I found the picture on Pinterest while searching texture on clay but i believe the name was eriquetta cepeda.  I am not sure how I was suposed to give credit but please let me know and how I can fix it so that the artist does get credit or if you need to take down the photo.  Thank you

We just ask that that credit is given to the artist if the work isn't made by the member who posts the image.  You have given credit so all is good. It's also helpful for people to know who the artist is so finding information about them or their process is easier. Google lens is helpful to search an image also.

1 hour ago, Min said:

We just ask that that credit is given to the artist if the work isn't made by the member who posts the image.  You have given credit so all is good. It's also helpful for people to know who the artist is so finding information about them or their process is easier. Google lens is helpful to search an image also.

Thank you for this input =) 

Now I am going to try your suggestions on creating this texture 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 4:17 PM, Min said:

Hi Min, when you refer to sand, is that silica? Or any type of sand?

3 hours ago, Kakes said:

Hi Min, when you refer to sand, is that silica? Or any type of sand?

Yes I would like to know this as well.  I used Silica Sand recently but maybe I need to add more of it too is. I was wanting something more finer.  Can natural sand be used?  

2 minutes ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

Tuckers carries it premixed, but I don’t know about Greenbarn.

It’s usually something you knock together yourself. The recipe is 1 gallon of water, 3 Tbsp sodium silicate and 1.5 tsp soda ash.

Thank you :)