Peter Pugger (VPM-20/20SS) not pugging

Kerstin

Hi all, I’m new to this so bear with me.

my workplace recently bought a Peter Pugger VPM-20-20SS and we are using DAS brand modeling clay. Other facilities in the company use this clay in this machine perfectly fine and have no issues. For some reason I keep having issues. I’ve finally gotten Peter to a point where I’ve made about 30 (6 x 3 inch) clay Patties. However it now either doesn’t pug out or does so very slowly before stopping an inch or so out. I’ve tried taking clay out, I’ve tried adding more clay, I’ve tried setting it, I’ve tried it all at this point. I figured out if I add too much it backs up into the vacuum chamber. So I take that out and try again, still nothing. 

I wanted to see if anyone has any helpful tricks or tips for a first time Pugger user before I reach out to the Peter Pugger company themselves.

thanks in advance :)

It has be be full to the brim and under maximum vacuum before it will pug out. During the mix cycle, some will inevitable squeeze back into the vacuum pump and shaft box, you just have to scoop it out after you've turned the machine off and put the scraps back in the mixing chamber for the next batch. The machine also needs to be full for the mix cycle, otherwise the clay just accumulates on the mixing arms and spins. The "T" bars on the ends of the arms are angled to push the clay from one end of the machine to the other for mixing and pugging, but if there isn't enough clay in the chamber to fill out to where the angled T bars are, nothing will happen.

I own this machine as well as well as  a VPM 30

The machine need clay in it to work and fully charged it  will work best. Also the clay should not be to wet will not work well or even just spin. If you need to add water do so to the left away from vacuum and shaft box.For some reason new users have a hard time with this . I think most are not charging it full enough and or to wet clay. Mine has worjked flawless for two years now.

Its a joy to use-I use porcelain and mix it with a lighter fine grog body in this machine. The larger VPM 30 is straight Porcelain

Edited by Mark C.

Sort of echoing what’s been said. You’ve got to fill the hopper, mix well under vacuum, then pug that batch. It’s not a continuous feed sort of operation like a regular pugmill. It’s batch-at-a-time. 

I recently replaced a Shimpo dual auger pugmill with a VPM20 in my classroom. After figuring out the how to operate it, the thing is a dream. Tight, plastic, de-aired clay every time, at exactly the consistency I want. Clearing out the vacuum chamber is a regular part of using it (every batch, says right on the machine). It’s a learning curve. 

thanks for the info. i just bought a machine at NCECA and tried my first batch. Pugging should not be this hard, LOL.  The manual keeps cautioning against overloading so Im hoping not having enough clay is the issue.  Ive only operated the old type pug mills and Im really hoping this one will save wear and tear on my wrists. But after spending 3 hours trying to get it to pug im letting it rest and trying tomorrow.  I've tried the suggestions for "spinning." The clay does feel great so far if only I could get it OUT!   It's at throwable very soft consistency. FYI, mine is a small one, the VPM 9.

The VPM9 only holds a small amount so make sure it completely filled.

Not sure whats the fuss. I put the clay in hopper turn it on  a minute then off add more -a few times until full. (you cannot fill it all at one go round) then mix a few minutes maybe 5 tops and then turn on vacumme and pug it out until it stops extruding. Repeat. for more clay.

You cannot overload as it only handles the full amount you can get into hopper

I think many must think you add the clay once to hopper and pug it all out.

You need to add clay a few times to hopper and let it spin a minute between adding more to fill it. It takes 3-5 charges to get the barrel a full nd then you mix and then you vac and pug it out

I put the clay in hopper turn it on  a minute then off add more -a few times (3-5) until full. (you cannot fill it all at one go round) then mix a few minutes maybe 5 tops and then turn on vacumme and pug it out until it stops extruding. Repeat

If the clay is all different moisture contents mix a bit longer to even it out.