Northstar slab roller vs Shimpo slab roller

Fawn

Hello , I was wondering if anyone has experience with either one of these slab rollers. I would like to finally buy one, but am not sure which one to go with. They seem to be very similar with a few exceptions. I have found a few reviews for the northstar and only a couple of reviews for the shimpo. Any input would be nice. Thanks

The Shimpo 30" slab roller is made in China by Friendly Manufacturing Corp (FREMA). Over the years it's been sold by Ceramic Supply, Axner, and others. It's still currently sold by Pottery Supply House in Canada. It's a good slab roller. I used to sell them, and several of my students and customers have them and they've been good machines, especially for the price. For a home studio it's a great choice. I probably wouldn't get one for a studio where it's going to have a lot of heavy use, though. For a heavy use studio I would go with the NorthStar Super series or a Bailey.

fawn, there is something you can do to make your slab roller more useful.   look at my album showing a northstar, (i think) in the series on the florida studio.  there are 2 shots showing the extension on the slab roller to provide table space, something very important in a small studio.   to see it, go to my avatar and see a choice for Profile. click that and go to albums.   look for a title re florida studio and see the 2 pics showing the extended tabletop on one side of the machine.   there is another showing it in use in the album   2017 long lovebirds........   

if you notice the sharpie lines on the knurled roller, that was for a particular size slab width for cracker trays, one of my best sellers.   i am fortunate to have a 24 inch bailey here in wv though the one in the photos in florida is now gone.  i was also 24 inch.   it is about as large as i would want to handle,   30 inches seems a little big for me.

19 minutes ago, oldlady said:

i am fortunate to have a 24 inch bailey here in wv though the one in the photos in florida is now gone.  i was also 24 inch.   it is about as large as i would want to handle,   30 inches seems a little big for me.

@Fawn This is a good point. 30" is fairly big, so make sure it'll fit in your space.