attach a heavy ceramic sculpture to a base

I made a 20" high, 10" wide sculpture. I want it to stand slanted on a wooden base. The bottom is at an angle.

It weighs 8 lbs .

I made the edge that would be in contact with the base about 1" thick, and my idea is to insert 2 metal rods into this area that would attach it to the base.

It needs a very strong support.

Shall I drill the holes before firing, or at the bisque stage?

Any other ideas to attach it to the base?

Thanks

If you want to be able to insert a metal rod into the sculpture, the softer the clay is, the easier it will be. If you’re thinking of using something like a long electrician’s drill bit to do this with, a firm leather hard stage would be ideal. You want the spot where the clay won’t stick to itself anymore, but is still wet enough to absorb vibrational stress. If the clay is bone dry already and if the piece has precarious points, your clay body may not withstand this approach however. At that point, drilling the bisque out is probably less likely to cause spalling or chipping, or even small pieces breaking.  If you have to bisque the piece, follow all the advice about preheats and going slowly that would apply.