Dextrin VS. CMC

Gonen

Strange question I KNOW :ph34r: , I was left with an expired health product of soluble fibers : "Wheat Dextrin" type. Can they be used for glaze certification for application like CMC is used? Or they may emit too much gases and might promote for  pinholes in the glaze?

Glaze pinholes aren’t caused by organic additives to the glaze burning out. When we talk about organic burnout being a possible cause of pinholing, it’s from the carbonates/sulfates etc that are chemically bonded to the glaze materials themselves. Things like CMC, glaze additives and wax are gone and vented out of the kiln before anything starts to happen on a ceramic level. So, I don’t think you have concerns there.

As far as whether or not wheat dextrin will work to help stick the glaze to the pot or make it more brushable, it’s always worth an experiment in the name of science. As always, do a test with a small amount before adding it to a larger batch, and don’t use it on something that’s precious until you’re confident in how it'll turn out.

My hunch is it won't work. Quick google search shows dextrin is a non viscous type fibre so I doubt it will thicken the glaze. Stir some in water and see what it does.

Unsure of what you mean by "glaze certification"?

Edited by Min
added a question