Food Safe Determinations

Listmates

I've have some pit-fired cruets that I want to use as olive oil containers.  I know that the relatively low firing temp means they are not fully waterproof so I have treated the inside with a stone sealer that is labeled "non-toxic" and "safe for food preparation areas".   Any thoughts on whether this is safe for the intended use?

And how does one go about getting such a determination?  Are there labs that will test it?

IMG_3967small.JPG

IMG_3968small.JPG

The Safety Data Sheet for it is here. Snippet of it below, you can see it contains water, fluoridated acrylic copolymer and a "trade secret" ingredient. To get it lab tested you need to give the lab the names of the ingredients you want it tested for unless you get a broad range test done which would be very expensive.

It isn't made for human consumption. You are a lawyer, I think you know the possible ramifications of using a product for other than it's intended use would be.

1046504746_ScreenShot2022-11-17at9_04_32AM.png.8adcf0efbfcf5a255188579b53b9b907.png

Dang. It’s a hard problem. Sealing a porous container in a way that’s safe for everyday use with food. I’ve tried, never found a satisfactory way to do it. Ultimately, my solution was to achieve the surfaces I wanted on vitrified clay. 

Lining a storage container for oil (or whatever else a consumer puts in it) deviates considerably from the intended use of the product.

Will the oil degrade it over time? How’s it going to hold up storing vinegar? How many dishwasher cycles will it go through before it is affected? What if someone decides to put it in the microwave? Does the product say it needs to be reapplied periodically?  If so, what is the plan for that?