Need controller help

Denice

I just opened my Cone 5 test in the Caldera test kiln.   The Genesis 2.0 Mini Controller was set to Cone 5,  this is my first test in this cone range.   The first one was empty kiln 01,  large cone melted perfectly, the same with 04 bisque.   This firing the 4 and 5 were over fired and the 6 had a perfect curve for a  C6 firing.   Unfortunately I was doing a Cone 5 test on some picky glazes,  so I need to test again but I have to find out what went wrong.   Any suggestion would be appreciated.     Denice

I just read the manual and it says...

■ Make sure the thermocouple is pushed 1” or more into the firing chamber.

■ If the temperature is inaccurate even though the thermocouple extends into the firing chamber at least 1”, replace the thermocouple.

When I taught in collage we always had issues with our with our tinny kilns with not reading the right temp.

I have a medium sized kiln that only gets used to bisque some stuff.  Getting a good temp and a good bisque is all about getting it packed just right. 

Thank you for the help,  I think I have figured it out.   This is my second test kiln,  I had a AIM for twenty years.    It had  thinner firebricks and cooled way to fast for some of the test.  When the AIM  was needing rewired  I decided to get the Caldera because of the new Genesis controller and the thick firebrick.   I have a large Skutt and a medium size Duncan that I fire using a digital dual Skutt thermocouple.    My husband has been bugging me for years to buy a new kiln with a controller,  he said this is a good start but I should think about replacing the old Skutt.

If the kiln is over- or under-firing consistently across all cones, you can do a thermocouple offset to fool the controller into firing cooler or hotter. If just a few cones in a particular range are off, you can do a cone offset  which does the same tom-foolery but only for a particular cone, not a general shift of all temperatures as with the thermocouple offset.