Do you grease a new wheel head if so wear and with what?

Maggiez

5 hours ago, Maggiez said:

i have a gear puller to remove the gear on the bottom my main concern is how to get the gear pressed back on the new shaft

This may help as an early observation, @Mark C will likely weigh in, he  has had many of these - I believe.
Even though removing the large pulley may require a puller, those that I have seen have a key way and key so to reinstall usually would require cleaning ALL the rust including sanding / dressing with very fine sandpaper / crocus cloth to remove all rust and burrs. To install usually requires lubricating and just sliding the pulley back on to its proper elevation then inserting the key in the keyway and tightening the set screw(s). Most pulleys are not press fit design so they can remain fairly easily adjustable on the shaft. The wheel bearing should be retained in a housing for pottery wheels and are generally not press fit like a fixed axle.

Just pull the large pulley off with a puller-grap the inner part of pully so as to not distort it.-get a new set screw and there will be key in the keyway so do not loose that. Clean it all with super fine emory cloth as Bill said lubricate and it will slip on with a gental tap with a rubber mallet or a tap with a piece of wood and hammer (do not strike the pully with a hammer)

The wheel head from Amaco /Brent comes with a new bearing and is just a bolt on unit with splash pan flange built in.-Three bolts to disconect and reconnect .

No need to grease it as it prelubrictaed for about 30 years or so.