Gelli plate printing on ceramics

July

As this is a printing problem where the oil is going to degrade your printing plate maybe you should consider using underglazes that are water based, and then spraying a transparent glaze over you printed work.  If you are using pieces you have done with a base glaze, firing a second glaze coat over top should not be to much of a problem, but will require testing as the firing will always effect the process. There is not easy answer to your question, but the mono-printing process should work and give you interesting results. Your determination to find a not so easy answer should be worth the effort.

best,

Pres

According to the Gelli Arts website, you can use oil based paints on a gelli plate, but you shouldn’t leave them sitting too long, because it’ll soften the plate.  Link to their FAQ here. So if you work quickly, and clean up right away, you might be all right. 

That’s assuming you’re using a store bought one, and not making one out of gelatin yourself.  I have not done this myself, but would a gelatin based plate work better with an oil based printing medium? My quick search turned up this blog specifically on Making your own gel plates. The comments section is a wealth of troubleshooting info. 

I also found  this very affordable online course through the Ceramic School, taught by Shawna Pincus. She does underglaze printing for the most part and is amazing at it. But she would also potentially be a person to reach out to for some technical info.