Mixing dry porcelain with floculant and water

Cadaola

I bought Limoges dry porcelain to mix with water and floculant, but I don't know in what order I have to mix all the ingredients.

Should I add dry porcelain to water already mixed with floculant?

Or should I add water with floculant to dry porcelain?

Thanks!

Paola

If its casting slip

(Should I add dry porcelain to water already mixed with flocculant?)

then yes-add dry clay to water and mix for a few hours-the key to great slip is lots of mix time.You can add the flocculant later but it still needs lots of mix time

Mark

If its casting slip

(Should I add dry porcelain to water already mixed with flocculant?)

then yes-add dry clay to water and mix for a few hours-the key to great slip is lots of mix time.You can add the flocculant later but it still needs lots of mix time

Mark

Hi Mark!

Yes, it is for casting slip. I did the whole process once, but it was 10 years ago and I couldn't remember what was the right order.

But now, your answer opens another question: you said "You can add the flocculant later".

I thought the flocculant was used in order to avoid to add too much water to obtain the slip. I thought it was used for "helping" the water to absorb the dry clay. But if you say it can be added later, that means it has another function, which I don't know... Then: what for is the flocculant used?

Thank you a lot!

Paola

I used to years ago have a slip business and we made 55 gallons of slip about every two weeks always adding old reclaimed slip and new slip so that is where my answer comes from. I do not recall the 1st time we made slip and started out as we ran the slip tank for 10 years and it was always adding to it.

You should read up and understand the whole process.I have a few books on slip making .

Heres a link to some info-google can find more for you.

http://digitalfire.com/4sight/education/understanding_the_deflocculation_process_in_slip_casting_213.html

Mark

First, we need to be clear in our terminology. You will be using a deflocculant, not a flocculant. The deflocculant is used to make the slip more fluid without adding water, thereby reducing the shrinkage of the slip as is sets in the mold.

I have used this recipe at Laguna Clay several times. It will take some adjustment depending on what kind of clay you are using, but it's close. In general, porcelain needs less water than other slips, as it is lower in clay content.

First, we need to be clear in our terminology. You will be using a deflocculant, not a flocculant. The deflocculant is used to make the slip more fluid without adding water, thereby reducing the shrinkage of the slip as is sets in the mold.

I have used this recipe at Laguna Clay several times. It will take some adjustment depending on what kind of clay you are using, but it's close. In general, porcelain needs less water than other slips, as it is lower in clay content.

That's right, I made confusion with the words. English it's not my mother tongue... Thank you :-)

I used to years ago have a slip business and we made 55 gallons of slip about every two weeks always adding old reclaimed slip and new slip so that is where my answer comes from. I do not recall the 1st time we made slip and started out as we ran the slip tank for 10 years and it was always adding to it.

You should read up and understand the whole process.I have a few books on slip making .

Heres a link to some info-google can find more for you.

http://digitalfire.c...asting_213.html

Mark

Thanks for the link, I'm going to read it soon :-)

Archived