A used Bluebird 12 Clay Mixer?

not a bot

Hi,

A used Bluebird 12 Clay mixer is available for local purchase. The current  owner has upgraded to a pug mill and is offering the mixer at a too good to dismiss price, so I am thinking about acquiring it for our modest home studio clay work.

This mixer seems like a low powered tool when regarding what is available and used by serious potters. I think the motor is rated at 1/3HP and the max wet weight is 50lbs.

The 50 lbs is more than enough for our use,  and we would likely utilize it for smaller batches.

I am wondering if this is a practical appliance. For instance, does it have enough power to get its job done, or will this model leave use feeling that it was designed with a bit of wishful thinking?

I am projecting from other workshop experiences, and reflecting on the idea that many power tools offer a desirable feature set at an affordable price but they don't have enough power to do their job gracefully.

Do any of you have any first hand experience with the Bluebird 12 Clay Mixer and do you have any insights you may share?

Thank you!

I think of these as old school machines-If your studio is huge and it can be forgotten in a corner and the price in super cheap than yes but really you will need to pug and deair the clay still which a modern tool does all in one step.

For me its a waste of time and free would not do it but keep in mind I have moved up to way better equipment long ago.

1 hour ago, mpalluotto said:

I have an old Bluebird pugmill which is about 20 years old.  Little bits of metal are getting into the clay. No idea where it’s coming from.

If you're getting little shavings then something is rubbing. If the blades aren't rubbing along the chamber, then they're likely coming from the end(s) of the shaft, like maybe a bearing is giving out and/or the shaft is shifting and rubbing somewhere. Dig around, you should be able to find a spot where metal is wearing.

Several vendors list the Bluebird 12 as current/available, however, not finding any support...
Ah, try calling the number listed here:
Pugmills Clay Mixers Potters Wheels Extruders Pottery wheel Bailey's BigCeramicStore Aardvark Clay and Supplies Axner (bluebird-mfg.com)
...have your model and serial numbers ready.

My guess would be the unit is designed to be maintained.

• 1 year later...
23 hours ago, Ajburns814 said:

Did you end up purchasing the mixer? Looking at buying one for myself. I would love to hear your thoughts! Or perhaps purchase it from you if you haven’t found it very useful in your situation. :)

The OP hasn't been here in a long time, so I'd send a DM to get their attention. Hover over their avatar and click on the 'message' button.