Kiln Ventilation advice - kiln in internal garage

Anna M

I am about to purchase my first kiln, a Naberthem Top 80, and need some advice about the safest way to vent.  

The only space I have for a kiln it is in my garage which is connected to my house. The garage has a double garage roll up door, back door, and a window. In the garage is also my laundry (washing machine and dryer). Pottery equipment as well as my Car (however can leave car outside the house when I am firing).  Also to note there is a 1-1.5cm gap under the door connecting to my main house. 

The supplier suggests opening windows is enough ventilation, the operating manual suggests a stainless steel pipe system venting upwards  through the wall to outside? I want it as safe as possible (as well as keeping my laundry equipment from rusting out). 

I have attached a wee map of the area, showing windows and doors. 

I am in need of advice on how I do the ventilation please?

Any suggestions of the best location  in the garage to place my kiln?

If I do install the steel vent can I work in the garage while the kiln is firing?

If anyone has  feedback on the Nabertherm Kilns would love to know (I haven't pressed the purchase button yet..).  This one has a B400 controller.

Thank you!

Anna

Untitled presentation (1).pdf

Do you have access to a powered downdraft vent system, like the L&L Vent-Sure or the Skutt Envirovent? Either of those would do a better job than putting a duct by a spy hole. A powered downdraft will do a much better job of reducing kiln corrosion, and it will increase the life of your elements. The downdraft will also run cooler, so you don't need any special double wall ducting, and you can run the duct out a window instead of upward and through the roof.

Another option would be to put the kiln near one of the windows, and put a fan in the window blowing out. Crack the garage door a hair for fresh air. That may work, especially with a smaller kiln, however only a downdraft will reduce corrosion and you'll be at the mercy of the weather if you're in an area where it rains a lot or gets cold in the winter.

@Anna MWelcome to the forum, we hope you find some answers to your questions while visiting with us.

I fired an electric kiln for years in my garage with no ventilation. It wasn't a major problem, but it had its bad spots as many hand tools in the garage needed extra care to keep them from showing rust or getting tarnished heavily along with woodwork and such needing more paint and care than other outdoor structures. However, last year I replaced my kiln with a newer kiln that had a controller and a downdraft vent system like @neilestrickdescribed. Actually Neil helped me pick out my new kiln, don't tell him I said so, but he's a great guy.B) I have noticed that the tools in the studio do not rust or tarnish as much, and the new kiln seems to be firing very clean. I run a vent out the window, and the system has a blower that keeps the kiln interior cleaner, and moisture from bisques gets ducted outside, not in the garage atmosphere. Venting highly recommended.

Once again, Welcome to the forum!

best,

Pres