Fixing up an older Brent C wheel

Hi a,

I recently "inherited" a *very* old Brent Model C wheel from a retiring pottery teacher.  It isn't the oldest models, but it still has a double v belt and a blue motor.  In a sense, it works fine (the wheel spins just fine!), but it makes an awful racket, with or without the belts.  Video (with and without belts) illustrates the sound:

https://youtu.be/BwaW7eacKl8

With the belt, there's a high-pitched squeaky squeal; the motor on its own makes a whirring, grinding sound.

I loved the YouTube videos posted on diagnosing and fixing weird sounds on a Brent wheel--but this one is so old, all the parts are different!

Any suggestions how to try fixing this up?   Since it was *nearly* free, I don't mind putting a little time and/or money in to get it in good working order.

Thanks!

What you have is an orginal model C with the old foot pedal style (long gone) I bought one of thes e in  1970 myself-that very same wheel. The motor need to go to a electric motor shop (there is one in most towns) for bearings and brushes (do not try this yourself as its a pro job) 

take the foot pedal in and control box with all wires are together and show them the issue live. They will put in new bearins and brushes for less than a new motor and it should last most of your lifetime. When it gets home rental and see if the wheelhead bearing is noisy and if it is than thats a whole other repair as then you need a new wheelhead/bearing (its all in one unit) and a new large and small pull as that shaft will be 3/4 not 5/8th like what you have now. The new wheel head will have a splacsh pan flange on it as well so the Brent splash pans will now fit. I assume your model has no splash pan that fits well?

Those model have a solid flat deck with brent colored formica tops (not plastic -unless your is a newer old one?)

Hopefully the new quiet motor will be enough  and you will not need a new head/wbearing

Let us know how its going with the repair.

My model like yours now has a different motor (back then Brent sent me an experimental motor( for free) with a 14 inch wheelhead and the modern flange with spash pan and a different footpedal and controller 3/4  inch pulleys . Ths decks are 1/4 inch plate steel and extra heavy duty(they quit making them like this when they switched to plastic decks in the mid 70s)

I have 5 brent wheels now all are old enough to only go in one direction.Same as me

Edited by Mark C.

• 2 weeks later...