Patching small holes in kiln bricks

g-bus

Hi folks,

I'm in the process of setting up my new to me, rebuilt L&L kiln. I noticed that there are 3 small (maybe 1/8"-3/16") holes in the bottom of the kiln. I'm guessing maybe from a downdraft system, but they're pretty widely spread out, maybe an 8" or so triangle. I'm going to install a downdraft vent, but am planning to mount it on the side. So my question is should I worry about patching/filling these holes, and if so, how should I do it?  Also. there's a hole, roughly about 3/4", in the top section, about opposite of the peeps. Not sure if this was from a pyrometer or what. Is this common, and is it something I should patch as well? Thanks so much for the help!

Sounds like they are vent holes. Kiln cement and brick would be ideal, but really you just need to close them up. You could shove some firebrick or fiber in them, or even just put some clay in them. The clay will shrink, so after the first firing glob some kiln wash in the hole to fill up any voids. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Thanks for the info. I'll prob give the clay/kiln wash a shot as a temporary bandaid and then do something more permanent next time I order some supplies. Would refractory cement, like for a fireplace work OK, or should I stick with something more kiln-specific?