“New” old kiln - looking for advice, insights and suggestions

I have purchased a new to me kiln that I will have to figure out.  It appears to be in good condition but I cannot find any information on the manufacturer “International Ceramics Supply” (ICS) Model 1820 with a Kiln Sitter K10

- thoughts on operation as is?

- can /should the controller be replaced 

1C65D86E-1C11-45DB-A50A-35794D68A92D.jpeg

D9D5F85F-9AD6-44D6-9FA3-1A3150B70C7B.jpeg

BEBED010-935D-4D98-A849-6F34BAC6E2B9.jpeg

8A04AF55-3FD2-4D70-A23E-3BC69FFAF46D.jpeg

1162A8A2-D007-4D34-BBD8-4ED1431D5056.jpeg

Edited by Laure T
Additional photos

there is no controller on that kiln.  it is fired manually  (or WOmanually) using the switches to turn up the heat from low to medium to high.  at that point, you trust the kiln sitter to turn it off when the cone you put in the sitter melts sufficiently and the kiln turns off.

Thanks.  I was using the term controller in the general sense (probably incorrectly).  Definitely planning on testing it with cones.  

Just wondering if anyone had upgraded/ updated their manual to something more modern (automated)

Yes, I have helped several folks install the Bartlett v6 cf. if you are handy then it’s fairly easy and a few hundred dollars.  The Bartlett control was used on most kilns in the US. Now days, they make a touch screen for a few more dollars. You can also buy plug in style controllers as well. Probably 500-700 dollars. The problem with a kiln that age is there is no safety timer built into the sitter. safety timers were added as a redundant way to shut the kiln off in the event that the sitter did not function. The sitter is still fine, just with that kiln you must make sure it shuts off so a reminder timer maybe set for 1/2 hour longer than it’s expected to fire so you can check on it.

Good practice with all kilns actually. That kiln at approximately 26 amps ought to be on a breaker and wiring appropriate for 125% of the load, not to exceed 150%. So a 35 amp breaker and wiring to match should be code in North America. Make sure to have your electrician check the appropriate size wiring for a continuous resistive load and wire accordingly.