Hello,

I have just purchased a secondhand pottery crafts kiln P5924 and it has no plug. I assume it needs hardwiring but would prefer to have a plug if that is in any way possible? The info on the label is 230/400 volts and 5kW.

Any advice on if it is possible/safe/advisable to have a plug put on would be very gratefully received. I will have all work done by an electrician.

Many thanks,

Autumn

You will need your electrician to run a proper circuit, install a suitable receptacle and cord end. In North America these item would be sized for 125% of the 5000w because it’s a kiln and can be a continuous load. Your electrician should apply your code requirements when the circuit is installed. Most countries have similar requirements for kilns so always good to inquire.

Edited by Bill Kielb

Whatever you do, don't run it from extension leads.

I got an electrician to put a caravan type outside socket wired from the fuse board.  He then used Arctic quality cable from the kiln controller that I can unroll from the greenhouse to the house and plug in.

Works perfectly, whereas previous setup melted the 13amp plug.

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, sarahpiper said:

Hi

Hope you got this wired in ok. I am looking to sell the exact same kiln and wondered what you paid for yours .. I am.habing trouble pricing it ?  Thankyou 

This is an old post, so if you want to contact the original poster, it's best to send a PM.  Hover over their avatar and then click Message.