Paragon kiln M-13

Lauris_aa

Hi! I just received a kiln. It looks old it’s a paragon model M-13. Does anyone have any tips on how to work it, what type of clay etc. I’m pretty new to ceramics so any feedback is appreciated! The metal tag says

model M-14

seria l14766

volts 115230

watts 3000

max temp 2100

Thank you!

I'm not finding any references to that model number for Paragon kilns. Can you post a picture of the electrical rating plate, and maybe a general picture of the kiln, so we can figure out what to do with it. The voltage number is 115/230, meaning it has both 230V parts and 115V parts, which will require a specific wiring configuration to be installed by your electrician. It only generates 3,000 watts of heat, which isn't much. If the kiln is small, it is enough to reach a maximum of 2100℉, or about cone 1or 2 when everything is in perfect condition. Under ordinary usage, you should expect this kiln to be only for low-fire earthenware clay bodies and glazes.

That's an old one! That the label identifies Paragon as being in Dallas with no zip code suggests it is prior to 1963 when zip codes were initiated. No wonder there is no mention of it in the current realm. The two power cords suggest it only works when both are plugged into a pair of ordinary outlets that are wired to opposing sides of the split phase household power.  Without taking it apart to figure out the wiring, (because there is no available diagram on the Paragon website), it's hard say exactly how those double-throw switches actually work.

The two cords would have to be plugged into outlets that are on separate circuits, so it's not any more convenient than a 240 volt circuit. At 230 volts it pulls 13 amps, so on household 240 volt service it'll be closer to 14 amps, which means it should be on 20 amp circuits to meet code. And speaking of code, I would check with a licensed electrician to see if this two plug configuration meets modern codes. If it was a true 240 volt system it definitely wouldn't, but what you've got in that kiln is actually two separate 120 volt systems so I'm not sure. The biggest issue is that if there's a problem and one circuit blows, the other circuit would keep going, which wouldn't be a good thing. Lots of maybes with this kiln.

Archived